Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a lot of posts about steering boxes. My 55 has the original steering box, manual.
Can some people educate me on what the need is, to replace the steering box.
I keep hearing all these good things about changing the box, and simply wondered what are the bad things about the stock box and what big changes I will notice.
Some advice on which one to use would also be very helpful.
Don't think I want to convert to Power, the manual is fine right now.
Thanks

·
Registered
37,987 Posts
There is no need to change your steering box if you don't want power steering. Unless it's worn out, then you need to get a good used one or a rebuilt one.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Many guys feel their boxes are shot. So, they want new or new technology if you will. If there is nothing wrong with your box or it needs rebuilding and manual steering is good enough, stick with it. I wanted simple engineering and rebuilt mine. No horse robbing belt, oil leaks, noise, nothing but the stock manual box.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was it difficult to rebuild ? and where did you get the kit from ?
The car kinda waunders a bit on the road, I put new Ball Joints and the Tie rods seemed tight, so I wondered about the steering box. I did tighten the screw up a bit to reduce the play, but still seems to waunder a bit, unless it is in the idler arm, but it seemed ok.
I thought maybe a better steering box would help. Just need to dig further, but your advice on the rebuild would be nice to know

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I bought mine from member Jalepeno on this site. But, I saw they were cheaper on ebay. Also, take a look at your centerlink. I found the cups in mine were broken. The rebuild wasn't too bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts