Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new 16" stock type wheel on my 55 and the spring loaded horn contact does not touch the contact ring on the column.Also the gap between wheel and column is a bit large.I need it to move in about a 16th of an inch.Is there enough adjustment in the housing that I can slide the steering column housing up the shaft to close up the 16th of an inch and how would this be done?Thanks for any advice.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,949 Posts
I just installed a new 16" stock type wheel on my 55 and the spring loaded horn contact does not touch the contact ring on the column.Also the gap between wheel and column is a bit large.I need it to move in about a 16th of an inch.Is there enough adjustment in the housing that I can slide the steering column housing up the shaft to close up the 16th of an inch and how would this be done?Thanks for any advice.
I would suspect the hole in the wheel is preventing the insulator from going all the way through the wheel if it's the right contact assy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Terry and Don.The wheel seems to be seated down on the shaft.I torqued it down to 40lbs/ft.the contact button is flush with the wheel face.So I think I need to loosen the column under the dash and the clamp at the firewall is that all that need to be loosened?What about the 3 bolts around the perimeter at the end of housing near the steering box?

Attachments

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,899 Posts
Thanks Terry and Don.The wheel seems to be seated down on the shaft.I torqued it down to 40lbs/ft.the contact button is flush with the wheel face.So I think I need to loosen the column under the dash and the clamp at the firewall is that all that need to be loosened?What about the 3 bolts around the perimeter at the end of housing near the steering box?
Don't disturb the 3 bolts. The column floats around the steering shaft. By loosening the lower clamp bolt on the firewall will allow you to spread the clap. This will allow the outer mast jacket assembly to move up. The upper end of the column is held in place with a clamp arrangement under the chrome cover plate under the instrument cluster. Loosen the #2, 1/2 inch nuts enough to free up the rubber in between the clamp. BOTH ENDS NEED TO BE LOOSENED. You should be able to move the column now and get your adjustment where you want it.

Mikey

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,949 Posts
Those 3 bolts adjust the play between the levers on a 3 speed. View W-W: https://www.trifive.com/garage/55%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/7-3-02.gif
Just loosen the clamp bolt U-U and the clamp Q-Q under the dash. You may have to spread the opening at the top of the clamp U-U to slide the column up.

The spring loaded contact should be long enough to contact the slip ring on the column, even with the clearance you have.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,309 Posts
Here's another good diagram to help you (with Danchuk part numbers)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts