Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I mounted the body to the frame, we ensured the body was centered on the frame. Although I have yet to hang the doors or front clip, I noticed looking through the firewall, it appears that the steering box is not centered in the hole. I looked at my parts cars and it is also off-centered. Is this typical, or do I need to do something to address the problem?

Mike

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts

·
Registered
35,565 Posts
The box should be centered in the teardrop hole.

Does your car still have the bellhousing mount frame brackets? If so, there is a line up hole in the top rear of the bracket. There is a corresponding hole in the floor. Check to see if those holes line up. Steering column hole should line up then too.

When I cut the brackets off my frame, I left a stub of the bracket on there, with that hole in it. If nothing else, it makes body alignment quicker, just use a tapered line up bar to center the holes.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are there shim kits available, or what is typically used? And do you shim all three mounting locations?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

(By the way, I removed the bellhousing brackets from the frame, not realizing they could serve an additional purpose).

·
Registered
825 Posts
You can use washers or alignment shims. You don't need to shim all the bolts but, looking again at your picture you probably will need to shim all 3. I would loosen the box bolts, shift it to line up and see how many shims or washers you need on each bolt. Alignment shims will be easier to install but, I like washers. Washers are little harder to install but don't fall out if you need to make adjustments afterwards. It's also what I had on hand at the time.
Todd

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts
Nike....If you move the box toward the engine, are your headers going to clear?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If you shim the top bolt, closest to the firewall, it should move the direction you need with more of a rotational move as opposed to both top bolts moving it straight away from the frame and into the exhaust. That rag joint will give you a little wiggle room. It is one of those things you have to experiment with.
I have used body shims before and had good luck. You can get them in a variety of thicknesses.

·
Registered
35,565 Posts
That rag joint will give you a little wiggle room.
Not really. If the two shafts are at an angle with a rag joint (or a universal joint), there will be binding as the wheel is turned. The real reason for a rag joint is to isolate the vibration in the power steering hydraulics from the steering wheel. You should strive to make the ends of both shafts line up perfectly, and to have the two shaft centerlines form one straight line. Good news is if you can shim the nearest bolt to the firewall to get them to line up, you can shim on the other bolts to put the shafts in a straight line. Then the worry is did you move it so far that the steering box hits the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Many cars had shims between frame and steering box from factory. Shims are similar to those used in fenders.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
What I meant by wiggle room...you will be able to stab the splines into the rag joint then move the top of the column left/right/up/down to get it in the dash mount. I don't think I have ever had one that lined up straight on.

If you shim the box on one bolt, the center line is now going to be headed slightly off toward the right side of the dash mount. As long as it is not too far off, the rag joint will handle it.

I realize it is not a universal joint and its primary use is noise / vibration isolation.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the delayed response. I am using ram horn cast manifolds. I will try to get out later today to see exactly how much I will have to shim the box, and how much clearance I have. Know it will be tight so hopefully won't run in to any problems.

And, yes, I have purchased and received the Borgeson floor mount. That being said, I have also read all the different opinions on the location of mounting.....inside or outside the firewall. That will be the next hurdle!!!

Thanks for all your help, guys. It's great to have all your vast knowledge available to those of us who need help.

Mike

·
Registered
407 Posts
I mounted the Borgeson floor mount inside. Perfect fit. Only a small part of one side of the mounting bracket, and one side of the chrome swivel ball are visible on the engine bay side of the firewall. This floor mount makes adjusting the angle of the steering column, to align with the steering box shaft, very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I mounted the Borgeson floor mount inside. Perfect fit. Only a small part of one side of the mounting bracket, and one side of the chrome swivel ball are visible on the engine bay side of the firewall. This floor mount makes adjusting the angle of the steering column, to align with the steering box shaft, very easy.

Did you remove the nuts from floorboard, or reshape the Borgeson plate to fit in place?

Mike

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
"I have also read all the different opinions on the location of mounting.....inside or outside the firewall".
Don't think that ball will fit between the engine side of the firewall, and the rag joint.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The Borgeson mount plate bolts directly to the nuts that are already attached to inside of the firewall. Only about 3/8” of the ball protrudes into the engine bay side of the firewall.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got out to spend some time in the shop. Loosened up the bolts on the CPP 500 steering box to add some shims. The box does not want to move much, especially the bottom bolt. Do I need to remove the pitman arm to shim the box?

Mike

1 - 20 of 32 Posts