Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shift housing is making solid contact with my turn signal housing when I pull back on shift lever (it's starting to turn shift housing a little)

Am I probably just missing the thrust washer that goes between the two?
(...I'm not seeing any other way to create space between them.)

Thanks
Ace

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
There is a cam under the shift lever collar (Q in this drawing) that adjusts the clearance of the shift colar to turn signal houseing. The adjustment screw is accessable through a hole in the shift colar just under the lever. Rotate the cam to get a clearance of .004 to .009" between the colar and signal houseing. .....http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/7-4.gif
If you can't get the clearance, the washer (U in drawing) under the 3 legged lock plate may be missing. How is the centering of the column working?

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Don...yep, that's the washer I was talking about. I'm think I'm going to rebuild the column. Last night I was fiddling with that adjustment collar and backed screw too far and it fell out....collar slid down into jacket a few inches and I can't get it pushed back up into position to get screw back in . (when will I learn??) but I'll be able to fish it out once everything is off the column. I'm going to have the 2 collar pieces powder coated to match the cluster while it's apart.

On the column, I'm going to live with it for now. Maybe next time the cluster is out (better access to rods), I'll loosen up some bolts, support rods, and try to find some wiggle room and add a shim or two. Seriously, I'm getting tired of creating these projects for myself by "monkeying around" with thing that aren't broke!

Ace

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.