Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The steering column upper bearing does not stay seated and you can move the column up and down slightly. Does the spring get weak or can it be shimmed? Anyone experience this?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,989 Posts
The steering column upper bearing does not stay seated and you can move the column up and down slightly. Does the spring get weak or can it be shimmed? Anyone experience this?
Move the column or just the shaft. Is it a stock steering box? The column should be clamped solid by the firewall bracket. Firewall clamp.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats not the issue , bearing on the top is held in place with a spring. Not enough tension on the bearing from the spring so steering wheel has vertical movement not in and out movement. causes rattle on rough road

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
If what Don suggested isn't the fix, I found my replacement upper bearing/ horn ring failed when I installed the steering column. I reused the original bearing. Take a look here at the post.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,428 Posts
I swear that I don't ever remember that bearing being a loose fit that was held in by the spring & seat...Seems lik it was a close interference fit....The Assembly Manual says to use some adhesive cement to hold it in...Personally, I would not use anything stronger than some clear silicone adhesive (if anything).

Link to Assembly Manual: https://www.trifive.com/d1/garage/55 Chevy Assembly Manual/7-3.gif

·
49,428 Posts
This spring and retainer holds the bearing in place by applying pressure when wheel is installed
Disagree...I've installed the bearing without those parts with no problem

Did you look at the link to the Assembly Manual that I posted?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Without the spring the bearing pops out of the bearing assembly on my car. This is a new assembly

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I always thought the spring was there to pre load the bearing, but now I think it is there as a ground path. I will order a new upper bearing thanks

·
49,428 Posts
Hey TopDog....My apologies....I'll have to eat my words....Got curious and started checking through my articles to see if I had anything on it....See the exert from the article below...(I don't think the silicone adhesive would hurt though.)

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,989 Posts
David, the "adhesive cement" mentioned in the assembly manual holds the bearing and horn slip ring in the turn signal housing. It says "coat the entire O.D. of bearing assy." before assy. The column hasn't been put on the shaft yet.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered new parts. I also took the bearing assembly apart and it was missing some of the ball bearings so hopefully the new assembly will fix things

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Did you take a look at the link I provided in post #4? It was a new bearing, but the upper raceway was loose and a poor fit. Did the link work?

·
49,428 Posts
Did you take a look at the link I provided in post #4? It was a new bearing, but the upper raceway was loose and a poor fit. Did the link work?
Worked for me Bill...Maybe an NOS bearing could be found

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put a new upper bearing in the car. Makes the car feel so much better, no more under dash rattle and column just feels solid

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Put a new upper bearing in the car. Makes the car feel so much better, no more under dash rattle and column just feels solid
That's great. You have a 55, so did you need to refeed the horn wire through the column mast?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts