Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 2 door sedan and I need a steering column. What length aftermarket steering column should I buy? Looking at a flaming river or ididit column?

·
Registered
35 Posts
AX, I have a new in the box IDIDIT column for sale. It is the tilt floor shift model, bare metal,(needs to be painted) with the billet knobs, and 4 way flasher kit. It is a 1996 production model. The only difference that I know of between this one and the newest ones is that mine has 6 tilt positions instead of 8. I am asking $250.00 and free shipping for TriFive guys. zman

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go a local guy who wants to sell a flaming river 30 inch column for $250 and was wordering if that length would work.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Are you going to use the original steering box, or a 605 or 500 ? That will make a difference of the steering column length.

zman's deal sounds pretty good for an IDIDIT.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) With a 605 either the IDIDIT or Feather River column should work. Just ask before you buy to be sure.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
13,434 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Using the steering wheel that looks just like the stock wheel but it is smaller in diameter.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
I haven't bought my column yet. However, I've pretty much decided on an Ididit floor shift column and special order it at 28".
I am most likely going to use a stock 18" wheel for my '55 but I might consider a stock size '50-'60 Impala wheel which are 17" I believe.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
What is the length of the column you have?
Follow-up:

I ordered a plain steel Ididit floor-shift column yesterday from RJays. It's a custom order to get the 2" shorter column and it will be shipped to me directly from Ididit. It costs about $70 more to get the 2" shorter column.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Follow-up:

I ordered a plain steel Ididit floor-shift column yesterday from RJays. It's a custom order to get the 2" shorter column and it will be shipped to me directly from Ididit. It costs about $70 more to get the 2" shorter column.
It my case it cost me MORE than 70 in beer to NEED the shorter column....:sign0020:

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
It my case it cost me MORE than 70 in beer to NEED the shorter column....:sign0020:
So, I take it you are using a stock wheel?

You could either have your column shortened or buy a treadmill or exercycle. But having your column shortened would probably cost less. Plus, it's no fun cutting back on the beer.

·
Registered
483 Posts
So, I take it you are using a stock wheel?

You could either have your column shortened or buy a treadmill or exercycle. But having your column shortened would probably cost less. Plus, it's no fun cutting back on the beer.
15 inch wheel (had a 13 when I bought it) - but the column is just about two inches too long (the wheel's about 10 inches from the dash) so my elbow hits the door sill to easy when turning. I think its a stock column out of a donor (possibly late Blazer). it works but with my long arms and the wife being 5'2" its just to far out from the dash. When she moves the seat up to reach the pedals the wheels in her chest! I am 72" inches tall with a 76" wing span - there are very few cars with stock ergonomics that fit well. And my beer belly does not help!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just to clarify...ididit, Inc. does offer a 28", "Universal Series" tilt column at no additional charge. If you want the 55-56 Chevy column in a custom length than yes, there is an up charge. There is a difference between the Universal and the Retro-Fit column...location of the wire slot (don't want them getting pinched in the under-dash mount) and a locating slot for the little tang that hangs down from under the dash to name two. One size does not fit all!

·
12,256 Posts
15 inch wheel (had a 13 when I bought it) - but the column is just about two inches too long (the wheel's about 10 inches from the dash) so my elbow hits the door sill to easy when turning. I think its a stock column out of a donor (possibly late Blazer). it works but with my long arms and the wife being 5'2" its just to far out from the dash. When she moves the seat up to reach the pedals the wheels in her chest! !
This is exactly the reason I pushed my column as close to the instrument cluster as possible. I think I gained 2" from the stock location (see pic). My column is actually longer than the "standard" 30" since I needed a longer one for a straight shot to my steering rack.

I am 72" inches tall with a 76" wing span - there are very few cars with stock ergonomics that fit well.
Do your knuckles drag on the ground when you walk? :sign0020:

Attachments

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I did what Chevynut did, moving the column close to the dash, and then shortened the column myself for use with a CPP steering box. My column is a Flaming River, and it's pretty easy to shorten. I don't know if the Ididit column is similarly easy or not. The issue here is if you already have the column, you might choose to go that way.

I think my column is a bit over 28".

This applies to a floor shift column only. If it's a column shift column, shortening would be a bunch more trouble, and it would probably be best just to get a factory one.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Do your knuckles drag on the ground when you walk? :sign0020:
Not quite - but my fingernails stay well filed. :)

I do have column shift and a console that precludes a floor shifter (which I have three used ones on the shelf) which is why I haven't just moved it down. But already have the parts located and on my list to go to electronic (push button with paddles) shift so will accomodate the mods this spring when I swap the tired 305 with an efi 350. Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts