Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached are some pictures of my pitman arm ball and of my idler arm where it slides inside the bushing.

I know the pitman arm ball should be round. Mine appears to be round. However you can see it has some pits and a scar from where it slides aginst the inside of the drag link. Is this damage justification for replacing it? Everything I've read on here mentions the roundess of the ball, but not the condition of its surface. I do plan to replace the cups and springs.

Similar question regarding the idler arm surface. Mine has some pretty bad pitting going on. Is this pitting bad enough to justify replacing? Perhaps the pitting doesn't matter?

Thank you very much!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
If the pitman ball is round, it should be OK, just make sure the gouges in it don't have burrs or ridges. The idler looks iffy, I would replace it. New ones are not expensive, they are a nice reproduction, and they come with a new frame bracket and the bushing already pressed in.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
If the pitman ball is round, it should be OK, just make sure the gouges in it don't have burrs or ridges. The idler looks iffy, I would replace it. New ones are not expensive, they are a nice reproduction, and they come with a new frame bracket and the bushing already pressed in.

Good info......:tu
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for the advice. :shakehands:

I will use the pitman arm after removing any burs and will invest in a new idler arm. The price for a new one is very reasonable and no surprises.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts