Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have upgraded to a 605 steering box and ididit steering column. Have rebuilt the front suspension. Have recently had a front end alignment and car drives awesome. The problem is that i can turn left on a dime BUT when turning to right it s not so sharp. Any suggestions as to why that is after all i have done ? The alignment guy said my tie rod ends where far apart as possible. I asked about adjustment of pitman arm but he said it only goes on one way. Any help would be appreciated. Mark

·
Registered
38,602 Posts
"The alignment guy said my tie rod ends where far apart as possible."

Well maybe so, but did he truly center the steering box and then check to see the steering wheel was straight up with the box centered? Then he should have adjusted the tie rods to make the car go straight ahead with the steering wheel and box centered?

Where did you get the 605 box? I bought one from McGaughy that had shims inside the box in both directions - but the idiots had twice as much shim one direction as the other. I threw away all the shims and started over.

Another deal to check is this. Do you have dropped spindles? If so check to see if your steering is limited by the stop pad on the steering arm. You can and should cut those pads down when using McGaughy and similar spindles if you want full travel.

I'd start by disconnecting the linkage at the pitman arm and checking to see if the box is centered when the steering wheel is straight ahead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.