Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My buddy has recently aquired a '55 150. The steering column had been swapped out before he got the car. Someone installed a late model (80's) Cavalier tilt wheel column in place of the 150's column. It is nice enough looking and all, but my buddy wants to get rid of the small diameter Grant Steering Wheel in Favor of the original size (like 18" or something??) diameter steering wheel.

The problem: The later model shafts are a bigger diameter and an original 55 steering wheel "bung hole" is too small to slide over the Cavalier shaft!

Anyone know of any way to get an early wheel onto a later year spline?

Thanks! (the) Blackwidowmaker

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
I don't see an easy fix there. If in fact you could get the original wheel on that column, it would likely put the wheel too close to the driver as the original wheel is deeper dished than the later models. The easiest way would be to find a custom wheel that he can live with. Short of that the column would need to be replaced. I haven't modified a Cavalier column, but did a 78 Chevy tilt column for my 55.
To this day I haven't found a steering wheel I like very much. You know, I haven't seen a wheel that made me say "That's it!"

·
Registered
150 Posts
Seering column delima

I found a tilt column out of a 66 impala and it worked great in my 55. I wanted a tilt wheel but wanted to keep my original switch setup and this worked great, plus it will look great with a 59-60 imp wheel if I can find one!

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
The problem: The later model shafts are a bigger diameter and an original 55 steering wheel "bung hole" is too small to slide over the Cavalier shaft!
Could the upper section of the shaft be exchanged with an upper that has the correct spline?
IE: Take the column apart, and replace the short shaft.

·
Administrator
49,366 Posts
Could the upper section of the shaft be exchanged with an upper that has the correct spline?
IE: Take the column apart, and replace the short shaft.
Humm, recommended reading has struck again. Nearly 15 yr old thread.
Terry

·
Administrator
49,366 Posts
Hmmm+ and by a long time high post member too! Very annoying. Often posters in these old threads are no longer members. Wish al these old post could be flagged or or thr RECOMMENDED READING BS could be disabled.
AG is supposed to be working on it. You and evryone else is just going to have to be patient. AG works at a snails pace from what they have done so far.
Terry

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Humm, recommended reading has struck again. Nearly 15 yr old thread.
Terry
Yep! I'm not as "quick" as some of you. Takes me a while to do the math.......

Reactions: chevman57

·
Registered
6,231 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts
AG is supposed to be working on it. You and everyone else is just going to have to be patient. AG works at a snails pace from what they have done so far.
Terry
We should definitely not hold our breath waiting that is for sure. I think their snail has some mobility issues as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts