Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help on a fuel issue on my 55 chevy 327 engine. I have a Stewart Warner 240-A-12 electric fuel pump with 3/8" line to carb. The sending unit is bad and is a 5/16" so I purchase a new 3/8" sending unit to match the main line. I permatexed the sending unit in and ran new 3/8" line to in on electric fuel pump all ok. I turned pump on and it just sits there and pumps like mad and vibrates the back end of the car, so i let it run about 5 minutes or so and looked at carb see thru filter and just a little fuel is there. This unit used to pump pretty fast then slow down to norm as the fuel reached a good head pressure I assumed, now I am lost like the pump is air locked or not primed. I took filter out of bowl at bottom of pump and seems ok, so tried again, there is 1/4 tank of gas as well. At the top of pump is a threaded like weep hole and nut that should tighten what ever this does. Is this a bleed issue? Looking for a service sheet on this pump as well. What makes me mad is pump did work before I changed sending unit, well fuel gauge now does work so that is fixed. Well that is my problem and thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Steve, it sounds like maybe your pick up screen came off inside your tank when you installed your sending unit. Just a thought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, took sending unit out tonight all ok, put back in and I primed the pump and used a squeeze bottle of gas and filled lines best I could, pump took off and hammered for just a bit then settled in to norm. Test drove the ole 55 to the gas pump and filled up all ok, thanks for advice. later Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got this about eight month ago and the fuel pump is located in the tire well and has a heavy chrome lid over the opening to enclose the pump and well. Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts