Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to make this horn parts photo of Acardon's a stickey at the site in the electrical section.....That way we won't have such a hard time finding it, when we need it.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Dave,Are the parts lined up in order of insertion?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,Are the parts lined up in order of insertion?
Yes they are.....Just have to point out that the curved part of the spring washer goes up toward you, when installing it.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
removal

How do you remove the the horn ring from the steering wheel?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,082 Posts
How do you remove the the horn ring from the steering wheel?
In the picture there are 2 holes through the spokes of the wheel. If the screws are original, there are 2 "clutch head" screws that are accessed through the holes that hold the center cap on the horn ring. Remove the center cap and the 3 screws shown, hold the horn parts to the wheel.

·
Registered
73 Posts
horn spring

Don The id of the 150 steering wheel is a lot smaller than a 210 or belair. The spring from danchuck will not fit into wheel or allow for the screws that hold the clasptype gismo that holds the 150 horn cap. I'll try to get a picture of everything this evening. Just had catarac surgery today still running into things. Jamie

·
27,082 Posts
Don The id of the 150 steering wheel is a lot smaller than a 210 or belair. The spring from danchuck will not fit into wheel or allow for the screws that hold the clasptype gismo that holds the 150 horn cap. I'll try to get a picture of everything this evening. Just had catarac surgery today still running into things. Jamie
You are right, the springs are different, but it's not the diameter, it's the thickness and cone height. A 150 belleville spring is thinner than a 210/belair and has less cone height.

·
27,082 Posts
Jamie, I believe you have an earlier model steering wheel, possibly 1941-1947. It uses a coil sprng to return the horn mechanism. Notice the difference in the spokes of Daleo's pictures. Also, the horn button is slightly different. The emblem is above center on Daleo's.

Daleo, great how to pictures, but I'm afraid the horn won't work with all that paint under the belleville spring. :s:

·
Registered
73 Posts
horn

Don Thanks a lot,you sure saved me.I was going to make it fit no matter what. The wheel came on the car,looked right to me.I just figured the po didn,t know how to make it work and I could,Wrong. Guess I,ll start my search for a 57 wheel. Is a 56 150 the same? I sure proud of my reto job,maybe the next one will go a little quicker . Thanks a bunch Jamie

·
Trifive Newsletter Editor
2,521 Posts
Daleo, looks great! :tu
Thank you Don. Even though that badly dremel ground part it is hidden I still know it is there. It was hard to get something in there to get the paint off! On the next ones I will clean it up and mask off that area first. I will also use an extension on my ratchet as I nicked the wheel when tightening the nut. All that time painting and I scratched it. Dumb.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Thank you Don. Even though that badly dremel ground part it is hidden I still know it is there. It was hard to get something in there to get the paint off! On the next ones I will clean it up and mask off that area first. I will also use an extension on my ratchet as I nicked the wheel when tightening the nut. All that time painting and I scratched it. Dumb.
Daleo56, that scratch was always going to happen. I have done the same to me 57 when I replaced the indicator lever for a better shinier chrome one. Mad me mad. I got all the way through the job without a hitch until the end. DOH!!! :sign0020: Great job on the picture break down :congrats::tu

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Daleo, almost forgot, I love the new avatar pic. Looks great :tu:tu:tu

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Decided to make this horn parts photo of Acardon's a stickey at the site in the electrical section.....That way we won't have such a hard time finding it, when we need it.

Hey Dave, I'm having a bit of an issue with the horn also. Got a horn kit and new horn relay, replaced it all, still no luck. The only thing I didn't do was pull the steering wheel. What are the three parts to the left of the spoke in your picture? Evidently not getting anything from there to the horn relay, as the horn will work when short across the relay. What does the spring loaded part play, does something have to be grounded? Sorry for so many questions, but can't cruise until get her inspected. Thanks for your help. Bill from Texas

·
27,082 Posts
Hey Dave, I'm having a bit of an issue with the horn also. Got a horn kit and new horn relay, replaced it all, still no luck. The only thing I didn't do was pull the steering wheel. What are the three parts to the left of the spoke in your picture? Evidently not getting anything from there to the horn relay, as the horn will work when short across the relay. What does the spring loaded part play, does something have to be grounded? Sorry for so many questions, but can't cruise until get her inspected. Thanks for your help. Bill from Texas
The 3 parts to the left are: the inner race for the upper shaft bearing, the spring that holds the upper race against the bearing, and the turn signal canceling cam. They don't have any thing to do with the horn. The white insulator and the contact with the spring is grounded to the clean metal center of the steering wheel by the large cupped washer when the horn ring mashes it down. Make sure the center of the wheel where the rust is in the picture is clean of paint and rust. :)
Try grounding the contact that goes through the hole in the wheel to the end of the steering shaft. If it doesn't blow then, take the contact out and push a wire through the hole in the wheel and ground it. If it still doesn't blow, check the wire connection at the bottom of the steering column near the turn signal connector.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts