Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting to know what kind of horse power a stock 1955 10 bolt believed to be 3:55 gear will hold up to. The reason I ask is I just put a 1977 3970010 4 bolt main 350 turned 10 over with Hi cmompress pistons 4 barrel quadjet backed by 700R4 tran.Do you all think I'll be allright for now if Im not hard on it. Original set up was 136 blue flame backed by 6 cylinder pwerglide .All input welcome.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
i've never broken a rear end, even the stock one, i was running flat tops on a 40 over 350 with camel hump heads and a doug nash on stock 3.70's. i didn't run it that long though. 6 months. it held up. shortly after that i upgraded to a 9 inch and 454. most of the forum users say 400 hp with an auto but not a stick, but not slicks just street tires and it's okay, depending upon how hard the rear was beat before you got the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
come on guys any info or thoughts on subject would be greatly appreciated. I bought the engine off a guy said it had been setting a year, he bought it but never got around to useing it. He said the guy he bought it off of put a Rv cam & high compression pistons in it when it was rebuilt. I tore engine down with buddy of mine to check it out & put all new gaskets on it, engine had'nt been run much, my buddy said lucky if it had 1500 miles on it. Put in car cranked right up second turn of the key,had a good bit of lope but I dont know lift & duration of cam, everything else is supposed to be stock. Not sure of horse power guessing around 350 at high end. looked #'s up on block 3970010 1977 truck 4 bolt main horse power rateing 185 to 350 stock. My buddy said with the way it sounded & with the high compression pistons I could probly safely add 75 to a 100 horse power to stock rating. But still everybody is just guessing.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,763 Posts
Rod...The stock rear shoild hold up fine as long as you drive it like a sane human being.....Having an auto transmission will help as well.....Also remember, the same rear (57-64) was used behind the 409 engie.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Was just a little worried, have had all kind of opinions around here none leaning to much in my favor. I should of known made in 55 it would be strong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts