Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just removed my electric wiper motor to cosmetically clean it up and noticed that it's part number, GM #5047981 is for an early '57.

I would like to replace the motor with the correct wiper motor, what is the exact difference between the four wiper motors listed below and do they all bolt on the same?

•1956 early GM #5047906

•1956 late GM #5047905

•1957 early GM #5047981

•1957 late GM #5047988

I also wonder what the stock color is? The restoration manual says "natural" and the one I took off was silver-gray paint! I looked at a rebuilt unit from Southeast Chevy Parts and the covers are cad plated and the body is natural.

Thanks!

John

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
The general understanding is that 55 and 56 are the same, and the shape changed (to the design with the rounded corner) for 57.

As far as the part numbers go, I'll wait for an expert to come back with that.

Colours were never painted, just natural and plated. But many restorers clean them up these days with similar coloured paint, hence the silver you mention.

If yours is an otherwise original type car, it could well be that an early 57 wiper motor was put onto your (late build?) 56 from factory. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, they all bolt on the same.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
ok here you go
1955 square corner all sides 5047787
1956 early square all corners 5047906
1956 mid year late production 5047905 one round corner
1957 early 5047981 one round corner
1957 late and all service replacements 5047988

i have all of these in stock some refurbished and some working originals
165.00 each if any one needs
hope this helps.
dean

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
ok here you go
1955 square corner all sides 5047787
1956 early square all corners 5047906
1956 mid year late production 5047905 one round corner
1957 early 5047981 one round corner
1957 late and all service replacements 5047988

i have all of these in stock some refurbished and some working originals
165.00 each if any one needs
hope this helps.
dean
I could never understand why early 56 906 wasn't 905, and late 56 906...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First of all.....thank you all for your responses! :)

My car is a late Dec '55 build, so I assume someone replaced the original with the present unit....drat! :mad:

We all agree that the stock unit's body is "natural" and the cover plates are cad plated, correct?

There is actually nothing wrong with the motor as it works perfectly, it just looks a bit shabby and if it was the correct motor for my early build, I would have just cleaned it up and put it back in.

.....so, I guess I might as well put a correct/restored 5047906 motor back in it.

Thanks again!

John

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
First of all.....thank you all for your responses! :)

My car is a late Dec '55 build, so I assume someone replaced the original with the present unit....drat! :mad:

We all agree that the stock unit's body is "natural" and the cover plates are cad plated, correct?

There is actually nothing wrong with the motor as it works perfectly, it just looks a bit shabby and if it was the correct motor for my early build, I would have just cleaned it up and put it back in.

.....so, I guess I might as well put a correct/restored 5047906 motor back in it.

Thanks again!

John
i have a 57 n.o.s one in the box it is all natural color like a cast aluminum

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have a 57 n.o.s one in the box it is all natural color like a cast aluminum
Hi Dean,

Are the covers cad plated?

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no it is more like a zinc coating it is a 5047088 it has a ink stamp on the cover feb 1957
Wow.......I wish that was a 906!

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok......I just installed a restored 906 wiper motor for my 56 Chevy and the nylon switch arm has a slightly different mounting arrangement for the control cable. The 981 I removed had a little metal piece that was attached to the arm with a screw and nut. The 906 I installed has a slot that the cable end slides into and does not need the metal piece to retain the cable end. Question, is this a newer design or the wrong year arm for the 906 or simply an aftermarket switch arm.....I know it is easier to install!

Thanks!

John

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Ok......I just installed a restored 906 wiper motor for my 56 Chevy and the nylon switch arm has a slightly different mounting arrangement for the control cable. The 981 I removed had a little metal piece that was attached to the arm with a screw and nut. The 906 I installed has a slot that the cable end slides into and does not need the metal piece to retain the cable end. Question, is this a newer design or the wrong year arm for the 906 or simply an aftermarket switch arm.....I know it is easier to install!

Thanks!

John

that is a 55,56 switch the one with the metal bracket was a 57 switch.
the one on your car is correct

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that is a 55,56 switch the one with the metal bracket was a 57 switch.
the one on your car is correct
Alright, great.....thanks so much bam bam! :tu

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts