Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
When i had my car into my mechanic a couple weeks ago he said that my generator was not charging my battery. So i removed the generator and regulator from the car and took them both to a rebuilder to have checked. Together they bench tested with an output of 14 volts & 60 amps. The rebuilder said the generator looked like it had been rebuilt not to long ago and everything looked excellent. I re-installed both and got a tester from my neighbor and after i started the car it tested at 13 volts. My question is...now that i know that the generator is indeed charging my battery, is this, 13 volts enough in the ball park as to what these generators should be outputting? Also, one of my heater control arms is broke and the heater is always on while driving so there is a constant draw.
Any help to this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
67,729 Posts
I think your good. I get between 13-14 with my alts. :)

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
If the fan is running you are drawing amps. What do you do in the summer months? :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Administrator
66,126 Posts
Did you rev the engine when you checked the output or was it on idle?

The heater needs the fan running to be drawing power.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
Also, one of my heater control arms is broke and the heater is always on while driving so there is a constant draw.
Any help to this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!
The levers control the water valve and vent doors. If a lever is broken, you can reach under the dash and pull the wire inside the cable to shut the water valve. The switch at the top controls the current to the motor. When the switch is off, there is no current flow, so there will be no draw no matter where the levers are. View B. ..... http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/101-5.gif
P.S. Levers are available from the vendors.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
60 amps from a stock generator? The rated output was 30 amps for the non-power steering gen and 35 amps for the PS gen. So unless your rebuilder waved a magic wand I doubt it can put out 60 amps. The most I have been able to achieve is 53 amps and that is really pushing it and it really shortens (pardon the pun) the life of the gen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts