Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a stock 55 rear end be used with a Small block 350 with around 375 HP? If not, what rear end do you recommend using?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Can a stock 55 rear end be used with a Small block 350 with around 375 HP? If not, what rear end do you recommend using?
Thanks
Depends on how much thrashing you're planning on, tranny etc. I built a mild 327 back in '70, went thru 4-5 single traction stock units,:eek: 3.73, 3.56. 3.08 etc. before I got smart and got a posi, ran 4.11 and 4.56 with no problems.:D
If going auto, will probably hold up but with manual need to watch launches and hard 2nd shifts, that's what got mine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sure it can be used. Just depends on how you use it! If your gonna hammer it or run alot of rubber to the ground or bang gears in my oppinion it won't last long, somthin will break. Your bolt up to bolt up demention is 60". Depending on your offset wheels you can run some 8" Fords, 9" Fords, '58-'62 Corvette, Cars with same dem. as yours would be the Spicer type '67-'69 Camaro's/Firebirds, '64-'67 Chevelle's, Malibue's, there may be others also I have forgotten. Lon

·
Registered
92 Posts
One of my favorite comments about the tri-5 rear is that it is the same one that was used in the factory Super Stock 409 cars.
If you aren't drag racing every weekend with a 4 speed car and big meats, the stock type rear if fine.
I run one with a supercharged 350 and a t-5 5speed. Only problems have been those 50+ year old bearings making a little noise...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts