Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stock and Show Car Discussion 1955 - 1956 - 1957 = Ask questions about any Trifive.

Stock and Show Car Discussion 1955 - 1956 - 1957

Ask all your questions here .

Or Give advice to others.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Driver Vs Show

I like a car I can drive daily, I like going to car shows to get ideas for my 57, but I dont' want it so far out there I would be afraid to drive it. Like watching Barrett Jackson shows and seeing a tri-5 come across the stage and see that some cars are original and some are custom. All bringing a hefty price tag. I lean more toward the original restoration but can see how an updated tri5 still can be enjoyable and maintains the value. To me its has little to do with the value of the car, but how much you enjoy the car. What do you think>? Dennis

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I have no interest in a show car, but I prefer to at least try to preserve the past by keeping mine stock. My plan has and is to put this car in driveable condition so I can enjoy it. If I have to replace the engine or tranny or something, then I will, but for now I'm doing my best to keep it original/stock.

1,544 Posts
stock or custom

When I did my 57 I kept it basically stock but added the newer upgrades to make it a safer car to drive, disk brakes, sway bars and 605 power steering, now it's not only a show car it's a pleasure to drive also, custom or stock is personal preferance but safety is everybodys business.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Stock or Show COnt...

I have only had my 57 since Father's Day of this year. I am just now getting used to that it is mine. It has the original 283 and tranny. I just have to get over the feeling that if I change something that it will be ok. Even if I move away from stock and update the systems. Never a show car, but a driver. I think moving out of stock distributer to a electronic ignition may make it more enjoyable to drive, then I think an alternator would be nice. But, then I think I am getting to far away from stock. Taking my time with the choices, but I like to here what you pro's think. Dennis

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
As I am rebuilding it I am updating and up grading. I've installed the power disc brakes,sway bar on the front,and am planning on installing power rack and pinion steering. I will be using an engine/trans combination from a new model vehicle I figure. The body will have all the panels that need to be replaced done. I want to have something that is dependable and fairly easy to get repaired by me. I've done most everything there is to be done on a vehicle before. I'm not as comfortable with the computer controlled vehicles as I am with the older ones.
Dave

·
Administrator
49,355 Posts
Well my 57 will be driven even if i have to drive it all tensed up. As a fellow chatter from an old car chat line told me about the frame off, painted frame thing " its pretty nice and a lot easier to clean when painted ". Mine is getting a lot closer to the show car end than i really intended but it is still going to be driven.
Terry

·
Registered
875 Posts
Well boys it like this, the more you see the more you want. I bought my 57 a year ago and I just wanted a driver. Well I replaced the wore out stock steering with a power rack&pinion. I put on power disc brakes on front and and changed out the generator to an alternator. Then I replaced the intake and carb. See it never stops. Then you go to car shows and you have to add all the shiny stuff. If I had a big shop I would pull the body off and do a complete body off restro. It is just like when I used to drag race, I want to go a little faster. So I say just build how you want it.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I plan to keep mine as stock as possible, do a complete resto using as many of the original parts as I can just replace the interior and strip and paint the original colors. Everything is in working order now except the clock and it just stopped about a year ago. After I do this one I may get me another and build a resto-mod out of it.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
We have similar aspirations. I want to keep this one bone stock and then get a 55 and go wild with it!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Terry, women are the same way about their house at lease my wife is that way. She just tells me that she is bringing it up to date. And I say so am I. When is it ever enough?
Boy can I relate to that. Once the 'little' house was paid for the wife started watching the TV house shows like Martha Stewart on remodeling your house. (The person that came up with those shows should be hung to put it nicely) So now all of a sudden our plans for enlarging the 'little' house were not good enough and off house shopping she went, finding a large two story 40 year old house four miles away (the only good part about it as I don't have far to drive) and before you could say "BUT!" we had the 'big' house. I have spent the better part of the last two years remodeling the house and upgrading it while my cars etc. have just sat.:( The only plus is I have a new garage that was just finished at the 'big' house, now to be able to enjoy it. Oh yeah, once the 'big' house is done and all my cars/parts are finally moved I get to re-do the 'little' house so it can be sold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts