Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IT'S PROBABLY BEEN ASKED BEFORE BUT....WHAT IS THE HIGHEST AVAILABLE GEAR RATIO FOR THE STOCK TRI 5 REAR END (LOWEST #'S) WE ARE INTO CRUISING NOT RACING !

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
The tallest gear available is a 3:08. One of the Tri-five site sponsors, Rons Machining Service has them here:

http://www.ronsmachiningservice.net/servlet/the-3140/GM-8.2"-DROPOUT-3.08/Detail
Yep...I just purchased a 3:08 and an Eaton posi unit. They are prompt shippers. Ron has what he advertises and everything arrived packaged well and looking good. I would highly recommend his business for purchases, excellent choice for a sponsor. I also spoke to Ron several times and we conversed like we new each other for years. I would give him a :tu:tu for good job well done. GKK

·
Registered
923 Posts
I used to hunt all the wrecking yards looking for the right ratio years ago.
The way I remember it, 4.11 for std. shift overdrive, 3.70 for std. shift, and 3.55 for automatics. Seems like in '57 they went to a 3.36 in some automatic cars.

·
Registered
36,946 Posts
Jim, you're right, in 57 they went to 3.55 for manual, 3.36 for autos, and kept the 4.11 for o/d. 55 and 56 had 3.70 for manual and 3.55 for automatic.

I found my list on 55-64 axles, the 3.08 was first listed in 1959, if that source is correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts