Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In restoring my 55 210 with 235 and single exhaust, I initially desired to go with the complete SS exhaust system. My supplier has the SS muffler in stock. The rest of the pipes he has in stock are Aluminized. Forgetting the need to wait for SS piping to come in (no time frame given) what are your various thoughts on mixing the two materials, using aluminized header and tail pipes? Thanks

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
You shouldn't mix two different metals like that because they tend to act as a galvanic cell and one will corrode at an accelerated rate. However, that may not be an issue for your specific use so I do not know. In any case, the two metals will have a different surface appearance as they age which will be a topic of conversation among those who examine them. I would not want to test out the effects on my personal car unless I got the mixed items at a significant discount.

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
I would wait for the ss exhaust or check around other dealers ,,do it once ,,do it right ,,, :anim_25:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
My body man suggested waiting too, as installing the exhaust is a long way away. I was going to the supplier (East Coast) to reduce the shipping cost.

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
Thanks,
My body man suggested waiting too, as installing the exhaust is a long way away. I was going to the supplier (East Coast) to reduce the shipping cost.
If you place a order they will bring it to the Carlisle show in PA for you ,no shipping cost at all ,I do that all the time ,and they give a 10% discount for cash too !! :)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Wish i was closer to "Ol55" to pick up Parts. Tell Ken i said Hello
My take on Exhaust
Show Car w/ Mirrors underneath use SS
Nice Car/Driver use Aluminized

·
Administrator
66,126 Posts
I would wait for the ss exhaust or check around other dealers ,,do it once ,,do it right ,,, :anim_25:
SS is a job done once, I fitted the standard mild steel piping with standard muffler as the car does not get much use :anim_25:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you place a order they will bring it to the Carlisle show in PA for you ,no shipping cost at all ,I do that all the time ,and they give a 10% discount for cash too !! :)
Its a big order with gas tank and many other items. Besides, I'm really looking forward to visiting their shop. Thanks for the comments. I'm sticking with the SS, as it's already been priced in the overall order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts