Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the stock spring length and width of a 57/hard top v/8
i have a friend with a large selection of new springs and im looking to lower mine 2 in. he lives out of state so i need to tell him what size to bring me . thanks rusty

·
Registered
784 Posts
RustyBelair, I just measured the stock front spring that I took out in my process of rebuilding the front end. It is 16 1/2 inches.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
There's more to consider besides the length. Spring diameter (thickness of wire) and compression strength come to mind. You could end up with something you're not expecting otherwise.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Best to get the correct springs for the car. I once put big block springs in my 55 chevy with a small block v-8 and I think they were responsible for the a-frame ripping out of the frame on the front left side where the bolt holes are. Also a poor ride Jim

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the comments guys i know the thickness matters but these are free and if they are close to stock thickness and 2 in. shorter i will use them if not i havent lost anything:) and drop spindels rusty

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
From my experiences good original stock springs will have a free height of 16.5" to 17". I have cut 1 full coil from these many times and my cars will drop 2" to 2.5" every time with no noticeable difference in ride quality.

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
Most of the stock springs I've looked at are 17" +/- overall length.

Remember, and this is important - the wheel moves about 1.9" for every 1" of movement of the spring. So for a 2" drop you're not looking for a 2" shorter spring.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of the stock springs I've looked at are 17" +/- overall length.

Remember, and this is important - the wheel moves about 1.9" for every 1" of movement of the spring. So for a 2" drop you're not looking for a 2" shorter spring.
thats why i ask rick i was at a car show latley and the car with the best stance had 2in drop spindels and 2 in. shorter springs and 2 in. drop leaf springs in rear.so he says i liked it verry much thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts