Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe my car has an original muffler. It seems like it is still in decent shape with a little surface rust but once in a while I get some popping out of it especially when I let off the gas.

What are the pluses and minuses of swapping this out?
(I am trying to keep this car all stock)
Manifold and tailpipe are still in good shape so I am hoping all I would need is a muffler replacement.
What would be a correct and good stock replacement?

Thanks

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
I believe my car has an original muffler. It seems like it is still in decent shape with a little surface rust but once in a while I get some popping out of it especially when I let off the gas.
The popping is probably not caused by the muffler. You may have a leaking valve or one adjusted too tight. Do a compression check.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

What are the pluses and minuses of swapping this out?
(I am trying to keep this car all stock)
Manifold and tailpipe are still in good shape so I am hoping all I would need is a muffler replacement.
What would be a correct and good stock replacement?

Thanks
Check out Ebay item #2612 7840 8111..this is an original from factory/dealer.. 100% correct

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
As said above, a muffler isn't going to stop backfiring or popping trough the exhaust. I'd have someone experienced take a ride with you before spending money on a muffler.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the fact that the original muffler is now 56 years old, I thought it may be worth wild replacing. Is there anything I can test for to see if this will stay in service w/out catastrophic failure while on the road?

Thanks again for all the input!

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
I guess the fact that the original muffler is now 56 years old, I thought it may be worth wild replacing. Is there anything I can test for to see if this will stay in service w/out catastrophic failure while on the road?

Thanks again for all the input!
I think the only thing you can do is check the inlet and outlet for pin holes as well as the body of the muffler itself ,,,but telling when it will crap out is a waiting game ,if you have original pipes and muffler after 56 years I don't thing it owes you anything ,I would replace it for a peace of mind ,it doesn't cost that much ,,,IMO

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
As said above, a muffler isn't going to stop backfiring or popping trough the exhaust. I'd have someone experienced take a ride with you before spending money on a muffler.

Very good suuggestion......:anim_25:
Cowboy :flag6:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

1 - 9 of 9 Posts