Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a tri 5 wheel on ebay w/a starting price of $50.Its a welded wheel but I forgot what year they say its for.Whats the difference between welded Vs riveted?(besides the obvious welds & rivets)
I have some welded wheels,some w/4 hubcap nubs and some w/3 nubs.
Some 14" some 15" I know that 57s came w/14s and 55,56 came w/15s but beyond that how do you tell one from another?Is there a code on the rims somewhere?
There is a member here looking for original 55 rims w/the nubs for a full size hubcap.What/where are these nubs?

Yes,I googled,Yes I searched here and I keep getting posts that tell what rims besides factory will fit but not what makes a tri-5 rim a tri-5 rim..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
My original 56 wheels have 4 nubs to retain the full sized hub caps and are welded. That means that the center portion of the wheel is welded to the outer rim on the back side.

·
Registered
240 Posts
fred

the nubs are on the 15 on the outside lip to hold the hub caps on .that abput all i know figured it out when the hub caps fell off the wagon just backing out the garage. hope this helps:)

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Fred,
No code that I know of, that came later.
55's came with 15 inch riveted wheels, but I have seen some late ones with welded wheels, No way to know if they are original or not.

56's are welded 15s

57's are 14 and they have a deeper reverse, (you remove the tire from the backside)

I believe all were 5 inch width

I have never seen a tri five wheel with anything but 4 nubs but I am learning every day.

What are you asking for the wheels? I need one 15 inch I don;t care if they are welded or riveted.
Gary

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Here is an original welded wheel from my '56. You can see the four nubs for the full wheel covers in the picture. There is also a code that is only visible with the tire off. Most of the parts on this car are from July 1956. I believe the G6 stamped on the wheel is for July '56.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Here is an original welded wheel from my '56. You can see the four nubs for the full wheel covers in the picture. There is also a code that is only visible with the tire off. Most of the parts on this car are from July 1956. I believe the G6 stamped on the wheel is for July '56.

Yep, learned somethin new again today. I never knew there was a date stamp inside. Thanks
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fred,
No code that I know of, that came later.
55's came with 15 inch riveted wheels, but I have seen some late ones with welded wheels, No way to know if they are original or not.

56's are welded 15s

57's are 14 and they have a deeper reverse, (you remove the tire from the backside)

I believe all were 5 inch width

I have never seen a tri five wheel with anything but 4 nubs but I am learning every day.

What are you asking for the wheels? I need one 15 inch I don;t care if they are welded or riveted.
Gary
Gary,I will send you a wheel for the shipping cost.Lets make sure that I have what you need.Give me a call..386-788-4874 Oldfart

1 - 9 of 9 Posts