Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
57 sedan delivery. Older disc brake conversion. 215 70 15 front tires. Wheel rub when 2 people in the front seat but only on slow tight turns, or when coming off a parking lot curb. I am assuming the springs are original but don't know for sure. I want to replace the front springs and shocks. Will stock front springs and new shocks give me a front end lift of 1 inch? Can anyone recommend a front spring set and shock set please?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,203 Posts
I am assuming the springs are original but don't know for sure.
This statement kind of sent up a red flag for me...If you don't know what springs you have, then the could be the lowering type.....Also, do you know what spindles that you have?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what spindles I have either. Is there anyway I can identify the spindle type or size?. Could I maybe count the spring coils to determine the type? Original or lowering?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Where is it rubbing? On inside of fender, on frame rail?
could tires be too wide, or wheels to much/too little back space?
I’m guessing after 60+ years springs are weak or are in need of replacement.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,203 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are these images adequate? I can shoot and post more if necessary. I count 10 coils on my springs. I am wondering if new stock coils and good shocks will raise my front end at all. Thank you

·
Registered
97 Posts
Are these images adequate? I can shoot and post more if necessary. I count 10 coils on my springs. I am wondering if new stock coils and good shocks will raise my front end at all. Thank you
I would say that if the tires you have are rubbing, the springs are shot. i have the same exact tire size and they never rub, plenty of room.

One thing I did notice though, you have disc brakes up front. many disc brake conversions end up with the track in the front being 3/4" or so wider on each side than stock. I'd check that first, before messing with spring replacement.

If so, a set of proper offset wheels would be a decent fix.

Check in the TriFive forums document/literature tech section, and find the dimensions from the lower control arm pivot point to the floor. That will tell you if the springs have sagged significantly or not.

Edit: Found it!

see dimension "A", looks like around 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 inches at the center of the pivot. Note that this would be with original size and profile tires - you'll need to adjust for the 70 profile tire height at the center hub.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would say that if the tires you have are rubbing, the springs are shot. i have the same exact tire size and they never rub, plenty of room.

One thing I did notice though, you have disc brakes up front. many disc brake conversions end up with the track in the front being 3/4" or so wider on each side than stock. I'd check that first, before messing with spring replacement.

If so, a set of proper offset wheels would be a decent fix.

Check in the TriFive forums document/literature tech section, and find the dimensions from the lower control arm pivot point to the floor. That will tell you if the springs have sagged significantly or not.

Edit: Found it!

see dimension "A", looks like around 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 inches at the center of the pivot. Note that this would be with original size and profile tires - you'll need to adjust for the 70 profile tire height at the center hub.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your help. You mention that your tires are the same size and never rub. Then mention the disc's I have and the 3/4 inch wider on each side. Great info. Question.....do you have disc's up front?
Thanks again. I am now going to try and discern the difference in height between the new 15 in radials and the original 14 in ply tires. Any help in this hunt for info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for your help. You mention that your tires are the same size and never rub. Then mention the disc's I have and the 3/4 inch wider on each side. Great info. Question.....do you have disc's up front?
Thanks again. I am now going to try and discern the difference in height between the new 15 in radials and the original 14 in ply tires. Any help in this hunt for info would be appreciated.
I still have the original type drums in the front. I also have 6" wide Cragar SS Mags.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts