Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased CPP 2" drop spindles and 12" rotor/Brake combo kit (Ebay). The spindles are heavy and massive in size compared to the stock units. Has anyone else noticed this? Obviously these are an upgrade, they're big enough to be on a dump truck. Thoughts?

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
The reason that the aftermarket spindles are slightly thicker than the originals is that they are cast steel, not forged steel. For the same reason, the spindle shaft itself is a separate piece made from a high alloy material, unlike the one piece construction of the originals.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The reason that the aftermarket spindles are slightly thicker than the originals is that they are cast steel, not forged steel. For the same reason, the spindle shaft itself is a separate piece made from a high alloy material, unlike the one piece construction of the originals.

Correct except the 12" version is excessivelly larger. Superior spindle was the original one that made this spindle and I think he just made certain it was strong since it is cast not forged. Probably a good thing since they're now made in china. However very heavy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To clarify I wasn't criticizing the CPP unit by any means. I was just surprised at the size difference. The stock one looks like it belongs on a lawn mower by comparison.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
To clarify I wasn't criticizing the CPP unit by any means. I was just surprised at the size difference. The stock one looks like it belongs on a lawn mower by comparison.

Or the 12" look like they belong on a truck by comparison

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

Understood. Just in case you didn't know it, the good thing about that 12" set up is 15" disc brake wheels will fit it such as GM rally wheels

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Well, hecho in Chino soooo....
Yeah, a few things. First, there's ZERO evidence that these spindles are anything but fine. Second, the CPP 12" drop spindle with Fbody 1LE brakes is the best bang for the buck front 2" drop spindle brake setup available for our cars. Period. They're cheaper than 12" Wilwoods and they stop better too. And, to add even more to that, you can get all American made brake components (if that even exists anymore?) at your local auto store to fill them out as they use 88-92 Fbody 1LE brakes components all the way down to the bearings and races.

Just because these spindles are made in China doesn't mean they aren't good quality. I'm also going to guess that every single one of us on this forum has Chinese parts on their car somewhere. It's impossible to avoid and while it can sometimes bite you in the ass, they too can cast steel.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yeah, a few things. First, there's ZERO evidence that these spindles are anything but fine. Second, the CPP 12" drop spindle with Fbody 1LE brakes is the best bang for the buck front 2" drop spindle brake setup available for our cars. Period. They're cheaper than 12" Wilwoods and they stop better too. And, to add even more to that, you can get all American made brake components (if that even exists anymore?) at your local auto store to fill them out as they use 88-92 Fbody 1LE brakes components all the way down to the bearings and races.

Just because these spindles are made in China doesn't mean they aren't good quality. I'm also going to guess that every single one of us on this forum has Chinese parts on their car somewhere. It's impossible to avoid and while it can sometimes bite you in the ass, they too can cast steel.
I run the C5 Spindles and hubs on my second gen camaro. They work great and are made in China, assembled here.

I like them fine, the above was a "joke" about the current world situations, nothing more.

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
They are clones of the Heidts spindle. Sourced from you know where. I don't know where Heidts spindles are made, but at least they have a reputation and track record.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts