Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
There are two of the Heidts clones out there. There is one that is better then Heidts in my opinion. That one is a forged steel spindle, Heidt's are cast steel. Then there is a cast version and it's bad, actually saw some break on a car, they can be identified by a dark color, kind of a dark greenish color. The good clones can be recognized by the forging parting line as opposed to a thin cast parting line, some of you may not have an idea what I'm talking about others know what a forge parting line looks like, same as a forged crankshaft. The parting line runs around the perimeter of the body not down the center. Unfortunately you may not know which one until after you buy them.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
They are clones of the Heidts spindle. Sourced from you know where. I don't know where Heidts spindles are made, but at least they have a reputation and track record.
The Heidts stuff I have is made in the U.S.....I'd just buy from them if $ permits

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,477 Posts
They are clones of the Heidts spindle. Sourced from you know where. I don't know where Heidts spindles are made, but at least they have a reputation and track record.
I looked on Summit and the Heidt’s spindles had a few unfavorable comments about quality. I’m quite surprised. Any others good?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had Mcgaughys 2" drop on my old chassis before I upgraded it to AME chassis. Made in USA family owned company in Fresno.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Is there a "Fresno" in China?

The McGaughy spindles are most definitely made in China, always have been.

Absolutely correct on that one. In fact the couple of things I have bought that were from them ended up in the trash can, a trans crossmember that was cut from angle iron, supplied bolts were not long enough to go all the way thru the frame so you could get a nut on it, the other was a trans linkage, bent piece of 1/4 round bar that would flop over on it's side when you tried to change from park to drive. All crap and those were obviously made by them on their home band saw and vice.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
More forged, but not drop

·
Registered
36,146 Posts
If they are from CPP, I don't care if they whittled them out with a CNC pocket knife, they aren't going on my car. Besides, there's plenty of good used originals out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If they are from CPP, I don't care if they whittled them out with a CNC pocket knife, they aren't going on my car. Besides, there's plenty of good used originals out there.
I don't have any experience with CPP this was my first purchase. Should I avoid them?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
More forged, but not drop

Opened that Summit ad and it says ships from supplier 3/1/ 2021, LOL.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
That 12" kit is ok if you're looking for sometjing a little bigger, it's just been said that yes they are heavy but CPP didn;t design it. One of the things that makes them heavier is the steering arms are part of the spindle.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
There are two of the Heidts clones out there. There is one that is better then Heidts in my opinion. That one is a forged steel spindle, Heidt's are cast steel. Then there is a cast version and it's bad, actually saw some break on a car, they can be identified by a dark color, kind of a dark greenish color. The good clones can be recognized by the forging parting line as opposed to a thin cast parting line, some of you may not have an idea what I'm talking about others know what a forge parting line looks like, same as a forged crankshaft. The parting line runs around the perimeter of the body not down the center. Unfortunately you may not know which one until after you buy them.
Which are the forged replicas?

I'm guessing the spindles offered by Ridetech are copies of the Heidt's spindles.

Also, FWIW, I ran the Heidt's spindles with the 12.2" Wilwood brakes and they were fine. No problems with them at all. I think the CPP/MGChevy 12" drop spindles are better in terms of stopping power though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is there a "Fresno" in China?

The McGaughy spindles are most definitely made in China, always have been.
Then they are false advertising on their site

Our “Classic Drop” spindles are made in the USA with the highest quality components. Our machining is done in-house on one of our state-of-the-art CNC machines. All of our spindles spuds are made from 4140 chromoly and machined in our CNC turning centers. Since we do our own engineering, prototyping, and machining, we are able to have suspension kits for vehicles as soon as they hit the dealerships!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts