Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How can I stop weeds from growing in my flower/rock beds. Seems like every week i'm pulling them out. Used weed block, round-up, vinegar. Any of our members landscapers that use a decent weed control? This is like a never ending battle.:viking:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I landscape mostly in cactus and drought tolerant plants,I put a weedblock fabric down and then cover that with crushed rock or gravel, it takes care of about 95 percent of weeds.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Yep, you need good weed block, any home depot will have it, but buy the good stuff. Also get some preen weed preventer and put that down also. That stuff works real good.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Plant the right "weed"...

And the local dope heads will take care of all your pulling...

Location is important though. Suggest Colorado, California, etc.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
I keep mine under control with roundup, it works for me.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've used farm grade round up can't buy it in big box stores but at local farm supply but it ain't cheap. Best/cheapest thing is Bleach. yup good old fashion cheapest stuff you can find laundry bleach. Don't hit your flowers of course but it works

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Chemicals...lots of it. And...pulling weeds everyday. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
How can I stop weeds from growing in my flower/rock beds. Seems like every week i'm pulling them out. Used weed block, round-up, vinegar. Any of our members landscapers that use a decent weed control? This is like a never ending battle.:viking:
The more cement I put down the less weeds I have :anim_25: Worked real good under all the fence line :tu

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Diesel will kill weeds! Or antifreeze will too for along time.
I've heard a mixture of Roundup and diesel is the most potent. On some poison ivy I used diesel and followed behind with Roundup and that worked better than just one or the other. Good to hear about antifreeze, I have a bunch of used antifreeze trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Diesel and roundup mixed together doesn't make much sense to me. Round up is a slow kill because it has to be taken down to the roots. The healthier the plant is when it is applied the faster it will work. Diesel fuel mixed will burn the plant down before it can ingest the roundup.This may allow the plant to regrow.
The fewer chemicals used around the house the better. :anim_25:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Diesel will kill weeds! Or antifreeze will too for along time.
I'm not an environmentalist but there is no way I'm pouring that around my property no matter how effective it is. :thumpdown:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
My wife is a gardener with her own business. She says use a pre-emergent. She figures in Penn. there is a 20 year "seed bank". Roundup does not work on seeds, just growing plants. The cloth weed barrier is sold because Home Depot or Lowes needed to sell something, it doesn't really work, and it is hard on the plants you do want to keep.
Anti freeze??? really??? um, NO!!!! The only other way is to pull 'em up as soon as you see 'em, ROOTS and all.

·
Registered
223 Posts
if you can prevent the weeds from growing in the first place, why would you want spend your time pulling weeds when you could be working on your car or enjoy driving it !

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
And the local dope heads will take care of all your pulling...

Location is important though. Suggest Colorado, California, etc.
Don't encourage anyone to grow 'weed' here in CO...please:sign0020: We already have enough problems with the "Peoples Republic of Boulder" exerting their influence across the plains.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts