Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Stop weeds?

2K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  crankshaft 
#1 · (Edited)
How can I stop weeds from growing in my flower/rock beds. Seems like every week i'm pulling them out. Used weed block, round-up, vinegar. Any of our members landscapers that use a decent weed control? This is like a never ending battle.:viking:

#19 ·
And the local dope heads will take care of all your pulling...

Location is important though. Suggest Colorado, California, etc.
Don't encourage anyone to grow 'weed' here in CO...please:sign0020: We already have enough problems with the "Peoples Republic of Boulder" exerting their influence across the plains.

#7 ·
I've used farm grade round up can't buy it in big box stores but at local farm supply but it ain't cheap. Best/cheapest thing is Bleach. yup good old fashion cheapest stuff you can find laundry bleach. Don't hit your flowers of course but it works

#13 ·
Diesel will kill weeds! Or antifreeze will too for along time.
I've heard a mixture of Roundup and diesel is the most potent. On some poison ivy I used diesel and followed behind with Roundup and that worked better than just one or the other. Good to hear about antifreeze, I have a bunch of used antifreeze trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

#17 ·
My wife is a gardener with her own business. She says use a pre-emergent. She figures in Penn. there is a 20 year "seed bank". Roundup does not work on seeds, just growing plants. The cloth weed barrier is sold because Home Depot or Lowes needed to sell something, it doesn't really work, and it is hard on the plants you do want to keep.
Anti freeze??? really??? um, NO!!!! The only other way is to pull 'em up as soon as you see 'em, ROOTS and all.

#22 ·
:D You need a really large dog, plumbers56. Oskar, our Rottweiller...... Wherever he lifts his leg...... Nothing grows (except for my favourite pepper plants and they grow even better).

Environmentally safe - Works better than roundup. The only hard part is getting him to pee where you want him to.

Best regards,

Harry

#24 ·
My wife is the gardener...she pulls or treats the weeds in her flower beds not me I DON'T DO YARDWORK!!:) We have a lawn service that mows, trims, edges and cleans the drive and walks.:tu
I really liked the desert landscape around our house when living in AZ...rock, cactus and Joshua trees in front and concrete on the sides behind the fence and since the pool and patio took up most of the backyard we just had a few tropical plants and a couple of palm trees back there...loved that:sign0020:

#26 ·
Atrazine.

Atrizine is what's in the Preen mentioned before. It is like a protective chemical layer that will kill anything that wants to grow from seed. It's o.k. around your existing plants and is also similar to your pre-emergent crabgrass preventer. The thing is, once you disturb the soil, it's effectiveness is gone.
You can get it at your local Farmer's Coop or just buy Preen. Preen is way more expensive.
http://www.atrazine.com/AtraMain.aspx

#30 ·
Atrizine is what's in the Preen mentioned before. It is like a protective chemical layer that will kill anything that wants to grow from seed. It's o.k. around your existing plants and is also similar to your pre-emergent crabgrass preventer. The thing is, once you disturb the soil, it's effectiveness is gone.
You can get it at your local Farmer's Coop or just buy Preen. Preen is way more expensive.
http://www.atrazine.com/AtraMain.aspx
Atrizine is a broad leaf postmergence herbicide. It will not kill grass.

#28 ·
Weed killer

Mix table salt [a lot] with vinegar and water in your sprayer. Also add a little dish soap to make the mixture adhere to the foilage. Been using it for years. cheapest weed killer you can get. I,ve also killed stumps with the salt by drilling holes in it,fill the holes with salt and water it in.:anim_25:

#29 ·
My company has had great results with a granular product called Snap-Shot. Best applied with a shaker type applicator. It is a Pre emergent weed control applied to the ground over the top of the mulch. Avoid use around New or non established plants and direct contact with plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.