Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,382 Posts
My problem is the more you have the more I forget what I do have. And also just exactly where I stowed it. I find when things are out of eye sight I soon loose memory of what and where.
Sounds like this is the only hope for you and me

I have divided my garage into 27 zones.
In each zone I have cabinets, bins and various containers.
It is all on a spreadsheet....JohnMc

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Awesome ideas. I picked up a ton of tips and it is very cool to see how everybody organizes stuff.

When I first started on this site there was a super cool thread about how to bag/tag/organize stuff when taking a car apart for restoration. Wish I could find it but I changed my user name right after that post and can’t find it now.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I really love your rolling shelves! I wish I had a half dozen of them! Obviously a 'professional' shelving unit that you likely purchased 'surplus'? Or are they available somewhere new now?
Thanks. The shelves came out of a defense plant at least 30+ years ago. My Dad had them all that time and didn’t really use them, but I intend to use the heck out of them!
They are USA made and very heavy duty...I cannot imagine what they would cost to make these days. The brake units on them are massive.

Today I spent several hours looking at commercial restaurant supply houses and tool places looking for various storage solutions. Got a lot of neat ideas.

Going to a huge used office furniture warehouse next week to see what kind of steel storage cabinets they have. Thanks to the ideas on this thread I now know some really cool new ways to store hardware. :tu

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
You guys make me sick!!

Whats wrong with just putting all that stuff in a big ol' tote pan. Then you only have to look one place to find it:sign0020::sign0020::sign0020::sign0020:

Seriously, I DO NOT intend to put ANY pictures of my shop (or obstacle course, whichever you prefer) here are anywhere else. I envy guys that can get organized that well. I never have figured it out.

It seems like it takes every tool I own just to do an oil change

Wayne

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Some Excellent ideas. I didn’t think about using a tool chest, but that is a cool idea.

JohnMc, I’d like to see more about your system. Have any photos of clever ways to store hardware?

I have about 5 of these super heavy duty rolling shelves. The shelves pull out and they have a big floor brake system to secure it from rolling. I’m building one with deep trays to hold scrap metal pieces/gussets, etc.

Trying to think of a good way to use a rolling shelf or two for hardware.

Update:

FINALLY found a solution that works so well, I couldn’t be happier. Got these bins online and couldn’t believe how well they fit my rolling shelves.

Now I have hundreds of lbs of hardware to sort....Have been collecting this stuff for many years. Lots of unique, NOS, and vintage stuff. I’m very excited to get this together as I’ve been waiting very patiently for a long time to have a setup like this.

Question: Where is a good place to buy bulk Grade 8 hardware? I want to fill one of these shelves with new SAE hardware that would typically be used on vintage car projects like Trifives.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,555 Posts
McMaster-Carr typically sells bolts and nuts in boxes of 10 or 25. I don't buy hardware in bulk just to have it, but if I ever need something and don't need it the same day, I order a box of them and build up some inventory. I usually can buy them in these quantities for 1/3 to 1/2 per piece of what I pay for the same items by the piece locally. I'm also fortunate that I have a local hardware store that has a great selection of grade 8 hardware. There's also Lowe's and Tractor Supply if needed.

McMaster-Carr also has a good selection of stainless hardware, as well as just about anything else in industrial hardware and raw materials. 99% of the time if it's on their website they have it in stock, they ship the same day, and they charge you very reasonable shipping costs. They are the Summit/Jegs of hardware.

·
Registered
11,210 Posts
How do you store your spare hardware? Over the years I’ve accumulated a ton of nos USA hardware from the 50’s-70’s and lots of other misc hardware and I want some ideas how to store it and make it organized and accessible.
I’m thinking rolling bins.
U-Line bins, to your door in a day

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have one wall dedicated to my new hardware and under the table in front of the wall I have several pull out bins that I put my old stuff in when doing a project I just put all the hardware into a coffee can and take a lot of pictures of where they came from then when the project is finished I sort the old hardware and put it in the old parts bins

3b by don long, on Flickr

I also like the plastic pull down drawers for seeing the smaller stuff

14 by don long, on Flickr

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
A few of you have some sweet looking set ups and it's got to be nice to work in those conditions. I have a few of those plastic Tide Pods containers with the snap on lids that have different hardware taken from or intended for specific jobs. I don't keep any new hardware on hand. I buy as needed.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Doing the tear down on the wagon I using some small part bins to organize the fasteners I am taking off. Storage totes hold the bigger parts.

The fasteners are organized looking at front of car. All of the passenger side stuff is on the left and the driver stuff on the right.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Doing the tear down on the wagon I using some small part bins to organize the fasteners I am taking off. Storage totes hold the bigger parts.

The fasteners are organized looking at front of car. All of the passenger side stuff is on the left and the driver stuff on the right.
I like the way you think. I’m borrowing this idea next time I do a teardown.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
I'm surprised no one has reported using 'baby food' jars for keeping small h/w items.. :) When I tore down my first Nomad back in the '80's, I'd asked my wife to clean and keep the baby food jars from our last baby with the lids. The lids are reusable and seal pretty good.

I've still got boxes of 'labeled' baby food jars with Nomad fasteners in my basement.. :) If the parts are greasy a little solvent can be added, and if rusty, adding some evaporust and sealing it up will help to clean the parts up!

·
Premium Member
12,465 Posts
All I have is a two car garage to work in. It's pretty over-stuffed right now, but if I had the room a few of these would do me just fine. I've been looking at them for quite some time, but all I have room for is just several of the trays without the stand. I bought the ones that you can stack on top of each other, and lock together with a slide lip in them.

That flat area in the front is great for labeling.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Nad: Northern Tools has a 'wall hanging' version of those bins and sometimes runs them on sale for a good price! I've bought a couple of them when on sale.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts