Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I might get a few readers with that title. :sign0020:

I previously read some threads on here about using aircraft stipper to get old multi layer paint off of a body with good results. When I googled it there seems to be alot of brands out there. Which is "The Good Stuff"? I don't want to waste money and time on a poor product. What brands do you all recommend and where can I buy it?

Also, I think I read that the paint should be be pre-scuffed with a orbital sander for better penetration. Is this true or not?

Thanks, Mitch

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts
Mitch.....I can't even remember the last time I googled a stripper. :)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Much less use a orbital sander.........

I used some generic looking stuff from the local advance auto and it removed 3 paint jobs including 2 DuPont imron jobs. What I didn't use ate its way out of the steel can later.

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
Klean Strip is probably the best known brand. You can buy it many places. Automotive paint store, auto supply, home improvement store, hardware store.

If you are stripping old enamel or lacquer paint, there's no point in scuffing. A newer catalyzed paint might respond to that.

To me, the paint stripper is certainly a logical choice. There are no easy ways out for this job.

Believe it or not, the most tenacious paint or primer I've seen is the factory primer. But it's pretty thin, once you get down to that, you can sand the rest.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Regardless of the brand - follow ALL safety recommendations by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Aircraft stripper is my favorite.. like nick said fallow directions. Do in a well ventilated area. Stay away from the low odor stuff its not near as strong. oh and keep it off your skin, you will know if you accidently get it on you lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Any brand will do. I get a cheap paintbrush to apply, then scrape it off. Pretty easy job really.

Another option for some paint removal is a razor blade, they have scrapers that hold the blade and you just...well shave the paint off. The thicker the paint the easier it is to remove with a blade.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Klean Strip is probably the best known brand. You can buy it many places. Automotive paint store, auto supply, home improvement store, hardware store.

Believe it or not, the most tenacious paint or primer I've seen is the factory primer. But it's pretty thin, once you get down to that, you can sand the rest.

This stuff is available at Autozone (Was actually waaaay cheaper than at the local auto paint supply)

It will soften old paint, bondo, old undercoating, etc..... But it won't even touch that last layer of factory primer. That's gotta be the best primer known to man.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I used the same stuff Geoff did- got it at the local hardware store- a lot less money and it worked well. Open the window and/or door and turn a fan on. Wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt. If you use a wire brush in a few areas it will splatter around some and get on your skin maybe.

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
Putting the plastic wrap over it is something I avoid unless it's absolutely necessary. Handling that stuff when you remove it just takes the hazard situation up a notch.

You don't need it unless the paint remover is drying too fast. Working smaller areas at one time usually helps that. And paint remover doesn't like cold either.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have heard that using plastic wrap help speed up the process and keeps it from drying out to quickly. Any truth to that??

And, do you apply anything to the bare metal once it's stripped to keep it from rusting?

·
Registered
67,713 Posts
you got me and I came with a few $1 too. :damnmate:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
No matter which stripper you use, if the car still has factory paint and primer it will take two coats of stripper to remove the coating.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm pretty sure the original paint is under there somewhere. From what I can tell the car has at least 3 different if not more layers. I can see 3 different colors anyhow. I'm guessing the stripping will only do a few layers at a time.

I read several posts saying once down to bare metal I should apply a epoxy primer to protect from flash rust. Will I have to then re-strip of that primer before painting? bowtie-trifive

1 - 20 of 27 Posts