Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just recently picked up a 57 Chevy 4 door with the 235 auto. I think the engine is stuck as it's been sitting for quite some time. Is there a way to get this unstuck to possibly be able to use for a little while or is it probably gonna damage the piston rings?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

This is just something temporary until I have all the parts gathered for my V8/700r4 swap.

Thanx, Cory

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Pull the spark plugs out and then put some penetrating oil in each cylinder, let t set over night atleast and then put some more ooil in each cylinder prior to trying to turn it, My car had a 6 cyl when I got it, it was froze up and the oil looked like heavy paste milk, so I oiled each cylinder and finally broke it loose and then it also took 3 oil changes to get the oil clean but beleave it or not the engine ran great.

Otis

·
Registered
146 Posts
What Otis said, but I'd give it four or five sessions with the penetrating oil over several days if you have the time. Then I'd try to ease the the engine over slowly if it is a manual tranny by rocking the car in high gear.

If you can turn it over with a wrench on the harmonic balancer or flexplate,
there will be less stress on the engine than if you try to break it free with the starter. ( less penetration oil blown all over the engine compartment too.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the tips guys!!! I'm gonna get some penetrating oil today & soak the cylinders. I'll let you know how it turns out;)

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Also a great tip is to mix some deisel and motor oil and squirt it in and let it soak for a day or two. That works pretty good. If all those fail try putting some coke in and let soak for a day or so. Terry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok got another question? What do you use to try & turn the crank over? I thought there would be a bolt in the middle of the crank to hold the harmonic balancer on, but there is no place for one?

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
If the harmonic balancer is off the get a socket made to fit on the front of the crankshaft. It uses the the key to turn it. If the harmonic balancer is still on then get you a flywheel turning tool and turn it from the back using the flywheel. Terry.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Back in the old days, before the great penetrating oil we have today (I like PB Blaster), we used to poor dextron tranny fluid in the cylinders becasue that was much thinner then motor oil and would coat the rings.... Made for a real nice bug killer smoke when we started it too!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm sad but happy to say the motor isn't going anywhere other than to the junk pile....

I let the cylinders soak for 4 days, then I put a pipe wrench on the end of the crankshaft with a 4' cheater bar on it & I just so happened to bend my cheater bar. So I think it's safe to say this motor is locked up & will not turn. I'll be sad to see it go, but I guess that just shows it's time to drop the V8 in there.

I just got all of my parts ordered yesterday for the swap!!!

Thanx for all the suggestions:)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I've used the diesel fuel trick, worked like a charm. Loaded the cylinders with diesel and put a heat lamp on the block for a few days. Then the pipe wrench and cheater bar,,using good judgement. Rolled it over a few complete revolutions. Hit the starter and blew the diesel out as best as possible. Oil change,fresh fuel and it took right off. Blew some big white clouds at first and fouled a couple plugs. but it did run again. next owner put about 20,000 miles on it before a rebuild. (327 chevy)

Diesel is one of the best solvents out there. Stinks like crazy but it works.

Keith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts