Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all not sure if this belongs here or not but--. My question is the car I have (57 2 door post) has a 69? Camaro sub frame on the front. I am rebuilding and wonder if I should leave as is or look for another frame. As far as I know the car was never driven after this was done, I bought it during the rebuild. It sure doesn't look like the steering will line up. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks Oldbearx2.

·
Registered
141 Posts
There really wasn't much gained by doing that . I wouldn't leave it if I had another option. I did a 78 firebird front clip it was a big pain and didn't give me the handling I thought it would. What would you do if you trashed it? Do you have a picture you could post? Have you measured the wheel surface to wheel surface yet? does it have disc brakes?

·
Registered
113 Posts
If the work is up to par, and all the fenderwells,core support, and bumper brackets where already worked out, I'd probably leave it, if for no other reason cheaper headers that fit :D btw the steering issue can probably be easily remidied with a few u-joints.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sub frame

Hey all thanks fot he info, there is nothing else done yet. I've mounted the body but that's it. I shared the same concerns, I'm not sure who or how it was done, but I guess just to gain disc brakes and power steering. Now for the next question, do I need a frame from a 2 door or will any frame from a 57 work or what other year frames are the same. ( I told you I was new at this)

Thanks Oldbearx2

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
57 only frame. The 55 and 56 are the same from the engine crossmember back, but you would have to change the front horns, and thats too much trouble. (not to mention you don't have the 57 horns) 2 door sedan,4 door sedan, 2 door hardtop, 4 door hardtop, 2 door wagon, 4 door wagon, sedan delivery, and even a convertible. However the convertible has a big X-member in the middle and would be more trouble than it's worth.
The hardtop frame will have an extra body mount, but you can just remove it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts