Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New sending unit. Brass fitting falls off as I tighten. The solder joint must have been done on a Monday. This fitting along with the sending unit pipe should be threaded. A dab of solder don't cut it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The original senders mounting plates were zinc coated, and the solder stuck really well. The new repro senders do not have the zinc coating, and the solder joint is crap. You can take it to a radiator shop to get it resoldered, but I would recommend finding a NOS sender.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can silver solder the joint that would be a better option.
Done. Just finished it up. Strong like bull now. Not even a 1/4" of the fitting was soldered. Only good thing is that the gas tank has been empty for some time. I was installing a partial floor, new quarter panels, tailpan and brace. Fixing it up with new parts as I'm going to sell it when I'm done. Hopefully before fall of next year. Sunk a boatload of cash in it. I realize that I won't get near the $$$ I put into it. With less than 50 miles since 2012, I have no desire to keep it. I bit off more than I could chew. Meaning, I was younger in 2012 and working on it was fun. Now it's a chore. Guess I'm not the only one that feels this way. Have a couple more things to do on it. Mainly, align the doors and front fenders better before I, or someone, paints it a new color. Then it will be put up for sale. Wow, did I get off the tracks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts