Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day All,

I'm from Alberta, Canada & I'll be visiting Las Vegas. I was hoping to find a Steering Wheel suicide/spinner knob for my '55 Chevy. Preferably a "vintage" knob, like the Brodie, but maybe one where I can pit my own photo in?

Regardless anyone know of some places I can visit in Las Vegas? I've heard of D.R. Antique Car Parts & Accessories, any place else?

Thanks,

Go OILER's GO!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,898 Posts
With all of the choices of pics available, I wouldn't want mine :)

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Good luck yes Ebay maybe they are illegal here. Or used to be. Modification of suspension and or steering .Mike

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
dave i was wondering about theses units for years but i did not know what they were called or if they still existed checking it out now thanks

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
I remember I bought one for my Mom in the late 50's with her favorite flower on it, a rose. Well, it got hung up on her dress making a turn, and she almost crashed!
I saw some on display at So Cal speed shop the last time I was in Sacramento a few weeks ago.
You should be fine as long as you're not wearing a dress! :D

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Well, it got hung up on her dress making a turn, and she almost crashed!
I know of a guy that had a suicide knob get hooked in his shirt sleeve after making a turn, couldn't straighten out the wheel, and he did crash.

It's the reason they are illegal in some states. Maybe all?

·
Administrator
66,911 Posts
I know of a guy that had a suicide knob get hooked in his shirt sleeve after making a turn, couldn't straighten out the wheel, and he did crash.

It's the reason they are illegal in some states. Maybe all?
I was going to ask how easy does it make to actually turn the wheel, if it gets hung up and causes a crash well that wouldn't make it safe at all

·
Registered
68,433 Posts
eBay is the way to go. :anim_25: .......there called "suicide knobs" for a reason. they are also illegal in some states. but, they are cool and do remember having them back in the day. :damnmate:

·
RIP: 05-24-2019
2,098 Posts
Brodie Knob

:driver:I have had a Brodie Knob on my Sedan Delivery sense the 1970's.
With Stock Manual Steering making it tough on an Old Man to turn the Steering Wheel at a Full Stop and I am not willing to install the P/S Assist unit.
The Knob is mounted at the 4 O'clock position on the Wheel so as not to draw any unwanted Law Enforcement Attention. I am pretty sure there is a Regulation on the Books in California against them, as with most things!
I find it Very Useful and it does make the rotation of the Steering Wheel MUCH Easier to operate.
I have never had in issue with it becoming entangled but I do not wear a Dress while Driving :sign0020:.
I consider this application a " Poor Mans Power Steering ".
With the Wide front Tires I have on the Car, I find the Brodie Knob Necessary!
It also is very helpful on Cornering.
I am not saying I recommend anyone Skirting the Law, Please be sure to check the Local Statutes.
This is Just One Man's Opinion. bowtie-trifive

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that's why some are "flip down" models? And I would probably take care driving, like with a tshirt or short sleeved shirts.

Plus I only drive it the odd weekend or to a few car shows.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
The "Steering Wheel Spinner Knob" was invented by Joel R. Thorp of Wisconsin in 1936. The Brodie name is a reference to Steve Brodie and was meant to describe all manner of reckless stunts.[3] The device is often called a "suicide knob" because of being notoriously useless for controlling the wheel during an emergency.[4] Brodie knobs are also known as necker knobs", because they allow steering with one hand while necking with the passenger. It is also called a "knuckle buster" because of the disadvantage posed by the knob when letting go of the steering wheel after going around a corner, the wheel spins rapidly and the knob can hit the user's knuckle, forearm, or elbow. If the driver is wearing a long sleeve shirt, the protruding accessory on the rim of the steering wheel can also become caught in the sleeve's open cut by the button. Other names include "granny knob" and "wheel spinner."

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
With all of the choices of pics available, I wouldn't want mine :)

Off topic, but BOY do I love the classic pin ups. I want that pin up airbrushed on the lower corner of my trunk (or somewhere). It will never happen, but I wouldn't hesitate if I had the extra cash.

I've always been a fan of the old bombers and the graphics that came with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
815 Posts
Good Day All,

I'm from Alberta, Canada & I'll be visiting Las Vegas. I was hoping to find a Steering Wheel suicide/spinner knob for my '55 Chevy. Preferably a "vintage" knob, like the Brodie, but maybe one where I can pit my own photo in?

Regardless anyone know of some places I can visit in Las Vegas? I've heard of D.R. Antique Car Parts & Accessories, any place else?

Thanks,

Go OILER's GO!
Back in the day I would have tried HONEST CHARLEY SPEED SHOP, Chattanooga, TN - haven't looked lately. Give him a try.
Also see them with some frequency on steering wheels of 18 wheelers - try some truck stops. As of a few years ago there was a big PILOT/FLYING J fuel plaza on the on the northern edge of Vegas on I-15. If they don't have any "necking knobs" they had some mighty fine eatin' (truckin' style).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I did get one in Vegas, $10.

But does anyone know how to install it or point me to instructions. I haven't pulled the car out of storage yet to do the old Trial & error...yet.

Thanks

·
RIP: 05-24-2019
2,098 Posts
Scar the Steering Wheel

It is true that you will mar the Steering Wheel where the Chrome Straps wrap around the wheel.
I attempted to place a rubber gasket under the Straps but it lost the Friction necessary for a Solid Mount so I did away with it.
I have had a Brodie Knob on my Sedan Delivery for 45 Years.
My Steering Wheel has the Scars to prove it. Would have it no other way!
:driver::driver:bowtie-trifive

1 - 20 of 27 Posts