Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fair warning for anyone looking at buying parts from Performance Steering Components. Performance Steering Components PSC RP10C PSC Pro Series Power Steering Pumps | Summit Racing I got a pump from them about a year and a half ago (and yes, the warranty is out). From the get-go, the spacers that came with it were not correct...luckily my father is a professional machinist so we just made some to get the pulleys to line up. I asked them if they included the wrong ones and they said no one else had ever complained about fitment. This is on a simple SBC application. They just plain didn't fit, but the solution was relatively easy.

Second problem. The integral composite reservoir didn't seal for shit. Order a new GM one and replaced it. That problem was solved. But I was pretty annoyed that I had to take the whole thing apart to fix it.

Third problem just yesterday. All the fluid in the reservoir suddenly leaked out (again). This time it's the shaft seal. I doubt I have a 100 miles on this pump. I'm done with this piece of shit. Just unbelievable. I ordered a new pump from Jones Racing with an aluminum reservoir...they get good reviews so hopefully this will work. Now I get to take it all apart again...yay!

Don't order anything from these folks.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I don't know & am not saying it is your problem but I had two ls style pumps which are basically type two just have a external reservoir that started leaking from the front seals The reason was due to excessive heat my #3 exhaust tube is only has about 1/4" clearance between the tube & 500 box & that was after denting the tube.The third pump has now been on for 3 summers after I added a power steering cooler just a thought you might check the fluid temperature with a heat gun. The type two pumps don't play well with heat.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't know & am not saying it is your problem but I had two ls style pumps which are basically type two just have a external reservoir that started leaking from the front seals The reason was due to excessive heat my #3 exhaust tube is only has about 1/4" clearance between the tube & 500 box & that was after denting the tube.The third pump has now been on for 3 summers after I added a power steering cooler just a thought you might check the fluid temperature with a heat gun. The type two pumps don't play well with heat.
Mine isn't that close to the number 1 primary tube at all. I doubt that's what's going on. Last night I had just started it and before I pulled out of the garage I noticed the steering was really tough so I checked the fluid. I filled it while the motor was still cold and I could see it start to drip out. I've also barely driven this thing with the pump on. I guess if this second one develops a leak I'll look into putting some heat wrap on my number 1 primary tube though...thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: I just realized that you're talking about the power steering box itself. Duh. I have a C4 front end so there is no box and the rack is pretty far from the exhaust...although the steering shaft, at one point, is pretty close to it. I might see if it's heating up a lot...it probably is and a cooler might really help with that.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I doubt enough heat would be transmitted through the shaft but you might still check the system with a heat gun

·
Registered
357 Posts
The stock C4 ran a power steering cooler. I didn't want to deal with trying to fit that, so I just used a small tranny cooler I picked up at advanced auto for $30.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I used a small plate fin trans cooler mounted directly behind the 56 grill which dropped the fluid temperature if I remember correctly like 30* again not saying that is the OP issue but sure corrected mine.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all this input fellas. I have a plate fin cooler that I purchased when I was planning to run an automatic and it's actually already mounted in front of my radiator. I'm going to plumb that in with my new pump. Hopefully that keeps it going longer than this one lasted. Still waiting on the new pump to arrive...should be here Saturday.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,181 Posts
there are 2 versions of the type 2 pump(probably more) one uses bushings and the other uses bearings. I cant count the number of bushed ones that have leaked on me, but the only bearing one is still doing fine after years.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
The second LS pump I had on my 56 was a bearing style & it only lasted a short time before it also started leaking out of the front pump seal the first I don't know whether it was bearing or bushing. I been putting off tearing the second pump apart to see if I can reseal it to have as a spare.The current pump which was a new Holley brand That doesn't mean that Holley actually made it has been good for 3 years after the cooler install.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man...I had no idea these things were so finicky. Kinda makes me want to put my old Saginaw pump back on.

How hard is it to rebuild these type II pumps? I'm assuming the clip on the front holds the seal and that it isn't that hard to rebuild yes?

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I can't say in my case the first pump was a NAPA rebuilt it started whining & developed a leak from the front seal they warrantied it the second did the same after several months.I didn't bother returning it bought the new Holley brand pump it would start to whine once the car was driven maybe 1/2 hour or so that is when I added the cooler which corrected the problem that was 3 years ago.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the old pump off and removed the lines and pulleys. It was definitely leaking from the main shaft seal. Got the pulley and high pressure line on the Jones Racing pump (which was a 100% match) and now need to plumb the cooler.

Just as an fyi for those of you who want to run a hydroboost, the Jones Racing pump with the integrated aluminum reservoir (which is a really nice piece btw!) has two -6 AN return bungs plumbed and, bonus, they even included a variety of -6 AN fittings for their reservoir. Wish I had ordered this thing to begin with, but my problem may have been the lack of a cooler...still don't really buy that as it had very limited time on it plus the initial problems I had with the PSC pump.

Here's a link to the Jones Racing stuff: Power Steering Pumps and Accessories

The pump I have, if anyone else is interested is part number PS-9008-AL-AR

On to plumbing in the cooler.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Remember the cooler only goes on the return for the PS box ONLY and back to pump reservoir.
Yep...I know! I'm plumbing it between the return fitting on the reservoir and the rack & pinion low pressure return fitting. Might have to buy a few 90 degree fittings.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think I'm on my 3rd pump with my power steering kit as well and really not alot of miles. One leaked, the other squealed and wouldn't pump well. And then my lines started leaking where the fitting is crimped on and had to replace those. Pretty tired of power steering....

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,118 Posts
I think I'm on my 3rd pump with my power steering kit as well and really not alot of miles. One leaked, the other squealed and wouldn't pump well. And then my lines started leaking where the fitting is crimped on and had to replace those. Pretty tired of power steering....
Do you have a PS cooler?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts