Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the cover off of my original voltage regulator today which was a little rusty. Found the complete opposite inside. This is off of a low milage 38,000 car so maybe that is why. Regulator never was opened.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
It's clean inside, but what else would you have expected? The unit is more or less sealed and it would be expected that there would be no dirt/wear/corrosion inside.

There are adjustments that can be made but they are beyond the capabilities of the average owner so there's little reason to ever open one up.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,899 Posts
Pulled the cover off of my original voltage regulator today which was a little rusty. Found the complete opposite inside. This is off of a low milage 38,000 car so maybe that is why. Regulator never was opened.
It is nice inside, but probably is not the one that came with your car new. 55's have a different cover then the one in your pic. The screws are longer and are on 2 corners of the cover. Less than 1% of the guys working on these cars know that bit of information. So if yours is good, just cosmetically restore it.

Mikey

·
Registered
468 Posts
The voltage regulator is a newer replacement than the original that would have come with your car. Earlier style have a bracket that you unscrew and adjust by hand for the point gaps.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
At any rate, I want to use it. But there is one thing that needs to be replaced which is the two resistors on the bottom. The contacts are too rusty and one ceramic rod is broke. How do these come off?

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,899 Posts
Tyler,
I don't think there is a fix, short of replacing it. Replacement parts for these are not made.

Mikey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts