Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wavey: Hi guys, i joined the site recently and have been learning since! I have another question to ask! Well i got the car to my school shop and i am ready to rip into all this suspension. I can only imagine everything is pretty darn close to factory! I am wondering where is going to be best place to buy parts for these cars, and get them in a reasonable time! I was thinking about doing new shocks,coil springs, and replacing every bushing on the car. Is there a Master bushing kit? These things listed i definitely want to replace, and then whatever else is wrong and what else you guys suggest! Oh yeah i cannot forget about sway bars either! Thanks guys! :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Parts?

My suggestion is buy good parts the first time so you don't have to replace again in less than a year. My choice is Energy Suspension. Call them and get the part numbers you need then order them from Jegs or Summitt to get the best price. they will usually have what u need in stock.:wavey:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used MOOG ball joints, bushings, and tie rods. The difference in quality from the $200 kits is noticeably better (IMHO). You can get all the MOOG parts on Amazon for just under $400 - Two inner and outer tie rods, two upper and lower ball joints, all (8) bushings. The rubber bumpers can be had almost anywhere.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Get the Kit from ecklers..it has everything ya need including the Coils! I think its like $385 or something like that!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How are the quality of ecklers parts? I noticed the kit just wasn't sure if it was too cheap. U know what i mean. Thanks for all the replies do far! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I know you want it fast, but I got NOS Moog, one or two parts at a time off Ebay, pretty reasonable. A little tip for you. Don't tighten the control arm bushings until you have the weight of the car on the wheels. :anim_25:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Little update, I have bit the bullet and went with moog parts.. I was thinking about doing a 2" drop, can i use the 2" drop springs on the front and back? Also i need help finding parts, if someone could just point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks! Im doing a complete overhaul on brakes too, so if anyone knows where i can find a complete kit that would be great!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Oh.. to answer your question.. yes to can use lowering srings in the front to lower your front end. If your rear leaf springs are in good shape and you want to save a little money. you can install lowering blocks in the rear to lower it. :anim_25:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks, i may need to get new leafs in the back. its sagging some(looks like a 2" drop already) and there is already some sort of aftermarket shackle on there. I was thinking about the ecklers 2" drop 6 leaf springs because of it being a wagon. will i want to get factory style shackles again, or reuse what came on the vehicle.. Just need to get springs, and probably sway bars to finish up the suspension parts.(i hope) Thanks for all the help guys!:anim_44:

Edit: Is there anyway to tell if the springs are factory or not, i think they are only 4 leaf springs which makes me think someone has touched them before, I was almost considering leaving them, because its at the height i want. I might test and see how much weight it would take to 'bottom out' and go from there.

·
12,256 Posts
You might want to start by taking a measurement from the top of the rear axle tube to the bottom of the frame. At stock height, that is 5.97" on a 57 and 5.725" on a 55/56.

I believe all 6 passenger wagons, SD, and convertibles had 5-leaf springs from the factory. There are two different p/ns for 5-leaf springs. The 9 passenger wagon had 6-leaf springs, and all the rest had 4 leaf.

Here's the 57 spring specs (55-56 are different):

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/57036.htm

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts
Little update, I have bit the bullet and went with moog parts.. I was thinking about doing a 2" drop, can i use the 2" drop springs on the front and back? Also i need help finding parts, if someone could just point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks! Im doing a complete overhaul on brakes too, so if anyone knows where i can find a complete kit that would be great!
If you are going to front disc (and I recommend it) you should lower the front with 2" dropped spindles.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,423 Posts
Edit: Is there anyway to tell if the springs are factory or not, i think they are only 4 leaf springs which makes me think someone has touched them before, I was almost considering leaving them, because its at the height i want. I might test and see how much weight it would take to 'bottom out' and go from there.
Don't the factory springs have a grove and the indentation to hold the insert and most aftermarket springs are flat spring stock, or do they make exact reproductions???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll chexk out the leafs later today, I'm in class for now. Disc brakes maybe out of my budget. Unless you guys know a complete/easy install for a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
DROPPED FRONT END

My suggestion for thr front is to use dropped spindles. When you start cutting coils it makes it stiffer. Use new standard springs with dropped spindles. You'll be glad you did.:)

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts
My suggestion for thr front is to use dropped spindles. When you start cutting coils it makes it stiffer. Use new standard springs with dropped spindles. You'll be glad you did.:)
If you go with dropped spindles, then you will have to go to disc brakes as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts