Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, after a lot of hours and effort I finished rebuilding the front and rear suspension in my 57 Bel Air I finally have the car on the road. I installed 2" drop spindles, tubular control arms, stock height front springs, 2" drop Global West Leaf springs, relocated rear shocks, KYB shocks, and front/rear sway bars. The car is a bit stiffer but more responsive with little body roll, overall it feels great and well worth all the effort I have put into the suspension.

The question I have is how the suspension is settling in...for some reason the drivers side is one inch lower front and rear when compared to the passenger side. I have driven the car about 15 miles so far and I have looked and nothing looks out of wack. I have a hard time believing that my weight would cause the driver's side to settle quicker.
Has anyone dealt with something similar during their build?
I did not tighten the rear spring bushings until I had the car on the ground and jounced it a few times.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't have any experience with that problem, but I wonder if you switched springs from Left to right what it would do? Did you leave the sway bars loose also until you set the car back on the ground? Jim

·
Administrator
67,972 Posts
Its a common problem with the rear end, usually if using lowering blocks on the rear they are different sizes to level up the rear.

Not sure what going on up front.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Another thing you might check is to make sure your front springs are clocked right. They fit in a small notch in the upper frame and in the stock lower A-arms. Ron

·
Registered
486 Posts
Springs not set?

Classiccarfreak,
Having done the samething on my '57, that's what I would look at first is the front springs not being in the pockets properly. I'd start with the right front (passenger) spring. It will also hold up the right rear. No matter how much you drive it with the spring loaded it will not turn itself into the pocket. Jack up, take wheel off and glance into the pocket with a flashlight and see if it is seated. Hope that helps. :anim_25: Jay

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your responses.
All bushings and sway bars were installed with the suspension fully loaded.
Would the sway bars pull on the suspension when fully tightened and throw off the ride height?

I am in the middle of replacing the carpet in the car as soon as I am done I will check that the front springs are seated correctly.

Thank you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Me too!

I noticed the same issue. I haven't taken the time to look into it yet. One theory is since I re-installed the old coil springs in the front, they might be unevenly worn and one sags.

·
Premium Member
3,713 Posts
I just did my springs as well and when I put them in I got the passenger side coil in the wrong place and it made the car sit higher on one side. So I decided to cut a coil off of each one. While removing them the second time I found my mistake. I would be willing to bet that is your problem. :anim_25:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Be sure the springs are in correctly. Also be sure that the lower and upper a arm bolts are not tightened until the weight of the car is on the suspension. I would loosen the bolts, drive it around the block, and see how it looks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts