Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
292 from a '65 c-10 into a 1956 chevy 210. This is my first engine swap, ive got the 292 on an engine stand nearly running, but i need advice on how to mount it in the '56. If anyone could direct me to some frame mounts, motor mounts, etc. i would sincerely appreciate it. Its my senior year in high school, and I would like to have it running before yearbook photos, prom, graduation, my 20th birthday..... I have the v8 bell housing, ive been told it will directly mate up with the 292. Im having to do lots of work myself as my dad has been extremely busy recently. A simple explanation would be helpful, thanks! -Wyche

·
Registered
207 Posts
the motor mount on the passenger side is in a different place. You'll have to move your mount. The block deck is also taller. If you're gonna go this far , go with a v8 265, 283 , 327 , 350 and so on . But by all means , anything can be done. If a 292 is what ya want , i'd say go for it

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Mind if I ask. So how much taller is the 292 versus the 235?

Will the carb interfere with the hood closing on the 292?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Congratulations!

Hi Wyche, good to read about a young man so involved with cars, specially tri-fives.
I'm also installing a 292 in my '55, for what I've been able to read the installed height is not much different than a 235, I didn't bother to measure as I know of others that have installed the 292, I have pictures of a '56 being built by Roy Brizzio with a turbo 292 in it, there you can see how they built the motor mounts, if you pm me your email I'll send it to you.
I also read that a front motor mount plate can be installed, my plan is to build my motor mounts as I have not found any made for it, as posted above I plan on checking Speedway and see what they carry. Take care, Tony.

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
Wyche, go for it. My first car was a 59 Canadian Pontiac wagon and it had the 261/ 3sp std and it was real torqueee, so I would imagine that the 292 would be even more fun, good day. What ever you use for mounts post some pic's here.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Personally , if the 292 is the same length as the 235 , I'd bolt on the front mounts and move the front engine frame mounts to the 6-cyl. location , not bothering with the whole side-mount thing at all . That was GM's intention , and they'll easily handle enough torque to pull the front wheels off the ground . Have fun . Bob

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Personally , if the 292 is the same length as the 235 , I'd bolt on the front mounts and move the front engine frame mounts to the 6-cyl. location , not bothering with the whole side-mount thing at all . That was GM's intention , and they'll easily handle enough torque to pull the front wheels off the ground . Have fun . Bob
Look at all the gasser Classic Chevies that used front engine mounts with a 409 in them.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
I started to dummy one into my 57. Motor is a little longer so the rad has to be spaced out and it looked to me like I would have to use a 250 pan instead of the 292 pan. 292 front sump is deeper than the 250 but the 250 will fit. I did not what to deal with the side mount thing so will probably pick up in the spring with making up some front motor mounts using the stock 6 cyl holes. Not sure about the crank pulley and whether I need to make mods to the radiator saddle. Have to wait for warmer weather

1 - 13 of 13 Posts