Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before posting this, I read a couple of previous posts on this subject. I don't have any specifics to ask about, so that means the real answer is "it depends". Here goes anyway: are there any small block conversions from auto to manual trans. That are not a nightmare to do? Are there conversion kits available? I'm beyond turning wrenches so this would have to be done by a good shop. Thanks

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
It's a pretty straight forward change. It's been done so many times by so many that the number of parts and kits are a bit astounding. The variable is the gear box. 4, 5 or 6 speed? Column shift or floor? Bench or buckets? Console or just tunnel? Was it stock as an auto?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a pretty straight forward change. It's been done so many times by so many that the number of parts and kits are a bit astounding. The variable is the gear box. 4, 5 or 6 speed? Column shift or floor? Bench or buckets? Console or just tunnel? Was it stock as an auto?
Thanks, Nick. I'm looking for a 4-5-6 speed in a 55, so naturally I'm finding 90% automatics! I read a previous post about guys having it alter the tunnel to get a T56 installed.

When/if I get a specific setup to talk about I'll inquire again. I've driven one 55 with a Tremec 5 spd and it was impressive.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,837 Posts
Timmy....When I was growing up in the 60's, any self respecting young buck would not be caught dead driving an old ladies auto.....So, I started changing mine from auto to standard at an early age.

Pretty straight forward, once you collect all the parts....You might put an add in the classifieds for the standard shift parts....Many of us old geezers prefer to drive an auto nowadays and have changed from stick to auto.

Do you have your car yet....57 parts vary in some regards to the 55/56.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Having done 5 of them myself, I would advise to get all stock parts. They just fit and work better. For the transmission that is your choice. I have a Tremec and it is wonderful.

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
Thanks, Nick. I'm looking for a 4-5-6 speed in a 55, so naturally I'm finding 90% automatics! I read a previous post about guys having it alter the tunnel to get a T56 installed.

When/if I get a specific setup to talk about I'll inquire again. I've driven one 55 with a Tremec 5 spd and it was impressive.
I have a Richmond 6 speed behind a BBC in a customer car here now. The customer had decided to shuck the 6 speed so if it were of an interest to you it will be available in the near future. I am uncertain of the gear arrangement in the transmission but I think the serial number can be researched to determine the exact ratios. I drove it a couple of times and it pulls real hard in first and second but again I need to verify what it is. It's only a year or two old and hasn't been abused.

What SBC are you running?

Alterations to the tunnel seem to be a crap shoot and I think in part due to the motor mount height at conversion time along with a body location variable. More data on what you have now may give some insight as to what to do/purchase.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
As Pops stated a lot us a switched to auto, me included just a few month's ago. I have some of the parts that you may need to go with a manual, and I'm sure a lot of others do to. Start collecting what you need then as you are ready you will be good to go.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys....

I'm still trying to find a 55 to buy. Is Richmond a quality trans? It seems like a 6 spd would be great as you could go with something like 4:11's and still go down the freeway @ 75 without twisting the rpms too high. I guess a 5 spd w/overdrive would get you to about the same spot. What kind of $$ for that trans, Nick?

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
auto for manual

Hi Tim
Believing that yoiu are talking about a tri five car, most all of the parts to make this happen for you are available new. So its a matter of finfing someone that you trust to do this. I can't begin to tell you how important it is to get the correct ratio rear end to match with your trans. Most any of the good standard shift trans shops can steer you right. Not every answer on this site is a great answer including (once in a while mine) but you need to decide how you want your car to behave on the road first and then go about acheiving that end. Ask specific questions to get information
Gary

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Tim
Believing that yoiu are talking about a tri five car, most all of the parts to make this happen for you are available new. So its a matter of finfing someone that you trust to do this. I can't begin to tell you how important it is to get the correct ratio rear end to match with your trans. Most any of the good standard shift trans shops can steer you right. Not every answer on this site is a great answer including (once in a while mine) but you need to decide how you want your car to behave on the road first and then go about acheiving that end. Ask specific questions to get information
Gary
The car I have bought has 4.10's. I don't plan on drag racing, but I want to think I can :). Usage will be mostly cruising around town and maybe to a few events. I think I hear what you're saying about making a good match trans to rear gears. For instance, I don't want 1st gear to feel like a granny gear out of a truck! I don't fully understand the interrelationship between the two beyond the basics, so I'm going to research posts in this forum to get my questions answered.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,837 Posts
Timmy....Did you fund one with a manual shift to buy or automatic that you still want to change?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Timmy....Did you fund one with a manual shift to buy or automatic that you still want to change?
Sorry, yes the car has a 700r4 w/OD, so I have to switch. So I'm looking to get a good match. To recap, rear gears: 4.10; rear tires: 225/50 17X8. So I guess I need to research which transmission setups will give me the happiest medium between getting off the line well and cruising at 65-70 at around 2000 rpms. The engine is a moderately built 383 stroker putting out a reputed 400/400.
The car is being shipped to me from Ca., and I don't have all the technical info. In my hands yet. I guess if I can determine the gear ratios in the 700r4, driving it for a while will tell me what setup I might need in the manual trans.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
i have a 383 stroker 55 with a 4.11 rear gear and a 4 speed with a 2.56 first gear. it works very well with a 28" tall rear tire. ive been tossing around the idea of putting a t56 magnum in it with a 2.66 first gear. you dont want much more gear than that in first. and theirs lots of after market hydrolic clutch kits out there to choose from. good luck

7,082 Posts
Running the PG now, will eventually go with the 700r. I am local, please let me know when you change, I would be interested in yours. :bowtier:

yes the car has a 700r4 w/OD, so I have to switch. So I'm looking to get a good match. To recap, rear gears: 4.10; rear tires: 225/50 17X8. So I guess I need to research which transmission setups will give me the happiest medium between getting off the line well and cruising at 65-70 at around 2000 rpms. The engine is a moderately built 383 stroker putting out a reputed 400/400.
The car is being shipped to me from Ca., and I don't have all the technical info. In my hands yet. I guess if I can determine the gear ratios in the 700r4, driving it for a while will tell me what setup I might need in the manual trans.

7,082 Posts
Yes we need to do lunch sometime. The original power glide, automatic, 2 speed trans. Reverse is on the bottom when shifting instead of on top. Redone and working fine, but rpms on highway are pretty high.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Standard Shift transmissions

Before posting this, I read a couple of previous posts on this subject. I don't have any specifics to ask about, so that means the real answer is "it depends". Here goes anyway: are there any small block conversions from auto to manual trans. That are not a nightmare to do? Are there conversion kits available? I'm beyond turning wrenches so this would have to be done by a good shop. Thanks
Hi Tim

I have a standard shift transmission shop and have been around for over 35 years. I have a fresh rebuild Muncie M-20 2:52 ratio and it comes with a warranty. There are some picture son this site. If you would like to phone me and I can give you a history about the trans and what to look for and what to stay away from. Tim there are a lot of unscroupulus people out here so you want to deal with someone with atrack record or else someone will sell you a trans for big money that is nothing but junk. I have been selling on here for 5 years with no complaints. Also I can walk you thru the procedure

Garys Gearbox 267 424 5838

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I have a 100% complete Muncie 4 speed swap for a tri-five sitting in my garage. I mean everything. Tranny, Hurst shifter (for stock bench seat), driveshaft, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, bellhousing, and all the pedal stuff and stock '55 linkage. It does need new pedal bushings and I think I would replace the clutch push rod. Other than that, it's all there.

I bought it from another member on this board who lives near me. I drove his '55 with this M20 in it before I bought it. It's a nice smooth shifting tranny and the serial number on it indicates that it came out of a '69 Camaro.

You're not very close to me, but I'd consider parting ways with all of it. I'm on the fence about it honestly. I am having a pretty radical 421 SBC built that I think is gonna blow this thing up. Not sure I want to grenade a good Muncie. Let me know if you're interested. I doubt shipping would be cheap.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a 100% complete Muncie 4 speed swap for a tri-five sitting in my garage. I mean everything. Tranny, Hurst shifter (for stock bench seat), driveshaft, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, bellhousing, and all the pedal stuff and stock '55 linkage. It does need new pedal bushings and I think I would replace the clutch push rod. Other than that, it's all there.

I bought it from another member on this board who lives near me. I drove his '55 with this M20 in it before I bought it. It's a nice smooth shifting tranny and the serial number on it indicates that it came out of a '69 Camaro.

You're not very close to me, but I'd consider parting ways with all of it. I'm on the fence about it honestly. I am having a pretty radical 421 SBC built that I think is gonna blow this thing up. Not sure I want to grenade a good Muncie. Let me know if you're interested. I doubt shipping would be cheap.
Thanks, I have a potential trade working for a Richmond 6 speed right out my back door.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts