Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put the body of my 55 210 2 door post onto a 1994 Caprice Classic chassis. I've found the specs and there's little difference between the 2 cars. It's a police interceptor .... Has anyone done this?

This allows me to run on '90s technology, not to mention LT1 w/4L60E trans. It's a 9C1 so it's got the Impala SS suspension.

Thanks.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,082 Posts
It's been done, but takes a lot of modification to the floor pan of the tri-5. This picture is from July 2005 at lake Texhoma. You can see my Yellow Corvair through the windows of the 56. :) He left the body in that shape on purpose for the rat rod look. He drove it on the Hot Rod Power tour and there was an artical in the magazine about it.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,910 Posts
Can't say I like that rat look too much Don..

·
Administrator
49,716 Posts
David you had to see it in person. He also had it at the Ft. Worth,Tx. Good Guys show and i liked it alot. Matter of fact i have one sitting out back that i have been contemplating doing the rat rod build to it.
Terry

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I want to put the body of my 55 210 2 door post onto a 1994 Caprice Classic chassis. I've found the specs and there's little difference between the 2 cars. It's a police interceptor .... Has anyone done this?

This allows me to run on '90s technology, not to mention LT1 w/4L60E trans. It's a 9C1 so it's got the Impala SS suspension.

Thanks.
I'd be interested in reading what you have found on the subject. Do you have the link ?

·
Registered
37,594 Posts
"It's been done, but takes a lot of modification to the floor pan of the tri-5."

Key words there.

If you try to just sit the 55-57 body directly on the Caprice frame, you'll be able to see the frame under the rockers. I've seen photos of a couple like that, and trust me, they leave a lot to be desired.

What you're going to have to do to get it "right" is cut the whole floor out, lower the body onto the frame at the correct height, and then build a floor that clears the new frame. This probably requires a step in the floor just inside the sill plate.

That ratty looking station wagon has a lot of work in it, you just can't see any of it.

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
Just after getting the body off my wagon I stripped an 85 Pontiac and set about doing the frame thing. I then saw a 57 sedan that had a similar frame put under it and you could see the frame(looked like sh*t). I called a guy in BC who had done one and he cut the whole floor out of the downer and the 57 and welded them together. I went back to my frame and updated it as it is now. Is there is a lot of real updates on a 90's frame? Same basic front end parts. As I said after going through this exercise unless your floor is rotten, it is not worth the effort, IMO. Henry.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Yea thats my dream, That my 57 will handle as good as a 94 Caprice!!!!
Jim

·
Registered
37,594 Posts
"Is there is a lot of real updates on a 90's frame? Same basic front end parts. As I said after going through this exercise unless your floor is rotten, it is not worth the effort"

Well let's see. The Caprice/Impala might have some big brakes if it was an optioned cop car but otherwise they're about the same as you can put on a 55-57 suspension/frame. The Caprice/Impala might have a big sway bar but you can put one of those on too. The Caprice/Impala has a bit different A-arm geometry but it's not magic. The Caprice/Impala has a Saginaw 800 steering box, but it's no better than a CPP500 box and you'll have to cut up your inner fenders to make it fit since it mounts a bunch further forward, and you'll have to build a radiator support mount for the frame. You'll also have to modify the column/steering shaft because of the location of the steering gear. The Caprice/Impala has a 4 bar coil spring rear suspension that's different but you could argue whether it's better or worse. It probably comes with rear disc brakes but you may not like the gear ratio.

In the end, it's a TON of fabrication. And you can match the performance with aftermarket mods to a stock frame. So you'd better be handy and thrifty to make this a good deal.

I have to think that the channeling reduces headroom and compromises driver seating position and entry/exit from the car.

And the list goes on. I may have missed some stuff.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Have I missed some stuff, maybe!!

No I think that covers it very well.
Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Frame swap

Thanks all for the feedback!

The flloors in the 55 need to be replaced and it needs a frame off media blast, body work & fresh paint anyway.

I went with the original frame/suspension on my 56. I put a new GM crate 290hp long block, rebuilt TH350, had to have a driveshaft made, put all new front end parts, 2" drop spindles with pwr slotted disks etc .... and it still handles like a boat.

I would really like to be driving on 90's technology rather than 50's technology. It's a 9C1 so it has the impala ss suspension. Also, it'd be nice to go to autozone and get off the shelf parts.

I'm in the process of disassembling the caprice at this time. Once I get the body off I'll have the frame sand blasted and painted. Replace A-arm bushings, ball joints etc...

I have no illusion that this is going to be easy.

I've got a few pics posted at www.geocities.com/pltx2000

'gards,
Pete

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback!

The flloors in the 55 need to be replaced and it needs a frame off media blast, body work & fresh paint anyway.

I went with the original frame/suspension on my 56. I put a new GM crate 290hp long block, rebuilt TH350, had to have a driveshaft made, put all new front end parts, 2" drop spindles with pwr slotted disks etc .... and it still handles like a boat.

I would really like to be driving on 90's technology rather than 50's technology. It's a 9C1 so it has the impala ss suspension. Also, it'd be nice to go to autozone and get off the shelf parts.

I'm in the process of disassembling the caprice at this time. Once I get the body off I'll have the frame sand blasted and painted. Replace A-arm bushings, ball joints etc...

I have no illusion that this is going to be easy.

I've got a few pics posted at www.geocities.com/pltx2000

'gards,
Pete
Pete, not to offend but the mods you listed would not affect the feel of the car that much. You upgraded the stop and go but not the feel. As Rick stated there are plenty of options to create a "non-boat" feel if that is what you are looking for. As for 50's technology, well we can at least say it has been tested:D:D 50 years worth of testing. I can walk into any part store right now and get rotors, brake pads, engine parts, rear end parts, etc. A frame is a frame is a frame...lol. It just seems with all the work you will be doing to your car that it wouldn't be worth it and if you want a high tech frames, they are all over the place for trifives and most of them use newer model parts but in the end it is your car so build it the way you want.
Josh

·
Registered
13 Posts
swapping 57 body

Im going to swap my 57 sedan onto an olds frame/floorboard the numbers are right (wheelbase and trackwidth) and it will save me tons of money (which i dont have) but cost me lots of time (which i do have)
My plan is to leave the floorboard of the olds intact on the frame and brace the **** out of my 57 body, cut the floor out of it and drop it onto the floor of the olds. This will alleviate modding the tri5 floor pan and not mess with the geometry of the olds chassis and suspension

·
Registered
68,465 Posts
sounds great birdman :tu. maybe a new thread with this build :tu:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I dont mean to post this up from the dead. But that iroc frame idea is an awesome idea. Going to have to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
There is a gentleman that goes by 'racer rick' here that is doing that swap. May do a search and see where he is at on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts