Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy once again,

My '56 150 2 Door Post originally came with an inline 6, three speed manual tranny combination. I'm planning on dropping in this nice little 283 that I've been sitting on. It's a 283 from a '64 Impala with Corvette 461 double hump heads, Edelbrock Performer, Carter AFB, '57 Chevy V8 bellhousing, and Muncie 4 speed wide ratio transmission. I have the bellhousing Muncie, clutch, pressure plate, fork, etc all on the engine and ready to go. I haven't pulled the 6 cylinder yet.

My question is, I'm planning on running the front engine mounts and bellhousing mounts just like the stock tri-five V8's. Are these mounts the same for the six cylinder as they are for the v8? In other words, can I just re-use the current mounts if they are healthy? Or do I need to order new/different front motor mounts/bell housing mounts? I just want to make sure I have everything ready to go before I pull the 6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a 2nd 283, out of a '59 Impala, that I'd like to put the original 3 speed behind for an old pickup that I have. Will I be able to use any of the 6 cylinder bell housing, cluth, pressure plate, flywheel for that application? Or do I need to get all new? Thanks again.

T

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
The V8 and I-6 mounts will be the same. The front mounts will need to be moved the V8 holes in the crossmember ( there are two pairs of holes. Just move them to the other pair.) Now the brackets that go on the front of the engine are different. You need a pair of V8 brackets.
A word of warning. When you put the front engine mount brackets on the block, use bolts no longer than 1 inch. If you use a longer bolt, it will lock the fuel pump push rod and drive you crazy trying to figure out whats going on :eek: .
The rear mounts are the same as long as you are using a standard shift bell housing and the mounts are from a standard shift. (automatic mounts are different).

On the second project, the six cylinder bell housing is different. You can use the flywheel, clutch etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks so much, again, that's exactly what I needed to know. Pefect. This place is great!

T

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah,

I just bought it, it was here in town. I had found another about a year ago up in St. Joseph Missouri that was basically the same car, 56 150 two door post except it was two tone Pinecrest Green and a Darker Green. Other than that, identical cars. That's when I gathered together this 283, muncie etc. But, then my wife and I needed some money for something or another, can't even remember, so I had to sell my first '56. So, this is my second go around. But, long story short, yes, the car was on Ebay last week. I bid the reserve which was $3250 and felt like I got a pretty fair deal.

T

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually it is a pretty solid car. It has typical Midwest rust issues, similar to the '56 I had before, but this car is a little better. It has a couple of floor braces rusted through, but only the drivers front floor was bad. Lower parts of fenders and quarters had a little rust, rear most part of the trunk by the latch. Car overall has some dings and small dents but is pretty straight, solid and unmolested. The worst part of the car is a dent in the pillar of the rear drivers quarter post (the post of the rear window) I'm not quite sure how I'm gonna address that just yet. I might have to ask for some body advice on that one. I'm hoping to be able to straighten it. I'm gonna take some more detailed pics this weekend for some advice here on the board.

Thanks for your interest.

T

·
Registered
22 Posts
speaking of the 283 v8's, i hav 2 of them with the original 3spds still mounted to them, i pulled from my (2) '65 chevy pickups. I was wanting to keep my original tranny in my '57 4dr post, but my engine needs rings and i just wanna go v8. Now, the 283's were powerhouses for the day, but... i want to know if there is an oversized kit for the 283, and what size it would end up being, for example: 283 bored to 305 or 350, or wut it would end up as, and if there are any stroker kits for the older 283's. any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If I remember correctly you can bore the 283 out .060 over and it would be close 302 cu. in., 292 or something like that.

Don't remember the formula for figuring cu. in.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
I bought a new ventura 2 sprint. looks like a nova in 72 , and it had a 307 small block chevy engine in it, It was my understanding , that the 307 is just a 283 with a 327 crank, I am sure the other guys know the answer,

Otis:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
=)

a .060 over bore, plus a 327 crank=hmmmm....interesting, i'll hav to do some configuring....if anyone knows the stroke on a 327, and also knows the standard bore on a 283, then i can calculate the engine size. Thanx, Mike.

Also the displacement calculator is online.... :D http://www.itpapulling.com/ci_calc.html ,hope this helps anyone else out....also if i'm not suppose to put html's from other sites on here, someone tell me. The aforementioned html address is owned by itpapulling.com. I guess you have to put that too...dont forget to get my specs. Thanx.

·
Registered
6 Posts
283 crank and 327 block gives 301 ci--basics of the original Z28 . 327 crank and 283 block gave the 307 ci. 283 0.60 over gave 292 ci.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I had a '60 biscayne 2 dr sedan with the old 301, 12.5to1 popups, 30/30 Duntov solid lifter cam, Carter AFB, electric fuel pump, 3 speed on the floor. I had to keep the heater on to keep the temperature under 200. It was hot in Florida in the summer. It liked to eat pushrods. Would chew up the tip at the oil hole or break them off at the head surface. Ran Strong and wound high.
Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
1957 283ci blocks can be bored a maximum of .060. 1958-1962 blocks can be bored .125 In 1963-1967 chevy went back to a thin wall, they can be bored
.060 All 283 blocks had a small crank jounal of 2.30inches. If you use a 327 crank, make sure it's the small journal (1962-1967). 1968 327's were medium journal cranks of 2.45 inches.
Also, if you stroke the 283 with a 327 crank, run 307 pistons. This is due to the piston pin height. The 283 pin height is 1.8 inches. The 307 and the 327 have the same pin height of 1.675 inches. The 307 carries the same bore as the 283 of 3.875 inches.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts