Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted a sway-bar setup on a 57 chevy ? how are the front holding bar brackets fitted? do you have to weld them or thread and tap the chassis?
anay suggestions will help !

Cheers :)

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
The bar should come with directions. But on mine I driled the frame horns for the clamps and bushings. Mine came with bolts that are allen heads and lock nuts. Clamp it to the frame with visegrip pliers and make sure the ends are in the correct position to align with the lower arms where the brakts mount on them. Then dril thru the brackets and frame. Drill each one and install the bolts only snug and proceed to the next bolt. When they are all in tighten them. One note, if the bushings supplied with the bar are polygraphite, put a little white lube inside the bushings. If you don't, it will creak like a bad control arm bushing. Don't ask how I know this.:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sway-bar

Cheers Mike

Just as I thought, thanks for the tip regards the greasing of the bushes..

Thanks !!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sway Bar

I used Summitt's Addco ACO-594G for the front and ACO-253G for the rear---(ACO-253G fits my 9" Ford) Worked great on front--drill holes and bolt in--rear required me to get longer (much longer) bolts and sleeves to go from frame to bars--overall very good installation and drives much better (still have to call Summit about getting reimbursement on the longer bolts??)

·
Registered
25 Posts
FYI
I used a 1 1/8" front bar from a 1982 Buick LeSabre. It even had a slight depression at the middle that gives more clearance at the front splash pan support. Looks like a factory install.
For the rear I used a Pontiac Trans Am. It bolts to the rear axle but the ends need to be moved inward (heated & bent) to clear the shocks, and the brackets need slight mods also.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Chaps

All sorted.. Installed the sway-bar..easy application..fitted a Danchuck after market kit...really easy to fit, came with all the fitting, only take's about 1.5 hrs to install.

What a diffirence it make's to the ride !

I would recommend anyone with a Tri-chevy to install the kit, you will be so surprised of the vehicle handling change !

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts