Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Absolutely, a front sway bar is by far one of the best things you can do to improve handing, and they aren't expensive to buy or install.

There is a reproduction of the original, made by Gene Smith, if you want to stay all original. There are also dozens of aftermarket ones too. Gene's will be a little pricier ($275 or more) than the aftermarket ones ($150-up).

·
Administrator
50,547 Posts
Best money you will ever spend to improve the driving quality in my opinion. Mine has the 7/8" sway bars on it and it handles great now.
Terry

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,493 Posts
I installed a gene smith which is a reproduction of the one offered on 55 chevys as a dealer option. What a difference it makes in steering and handling. I used to feel like I was going to fall out the door when on a curve, That issue is fixed, also the bar took a lot of wander out of the steering. The gene smith is a 1 inch bar and the attachments to the lower control arm are nice stamped parts with 4 bolts to secure them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How involved is the install? Something that can be done in my home garage with jack-stands? I have thought about installing them (at least front) before, but now I am looking for a relatively simple and not too expensive project that can keep me busy. More importantly, something that will allow me to keep my car on the road during the nice summer months.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
They are easy. They do install while the car is at rest on the ground, not hanging on jack stands. It should be in the instructions. A drill and a couple of end wrenches or ratchet is all you really need. A friend helps.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
They are easy. They do install while the car is at rest on the ground, not hanging on jack stands. It should be in the instructions. A drill and a couple of end wrenches or ratchet is all you really need. A friend helps.
The Gene Smith ones you put on stands with the tires off, drill some holes, and your done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sway bar

I put one on and the difference is something.
I made a lower mount like the original police car swaybar had,check my blog. best addition I have made.
1948fordpickup.blogspot.ca.
Now my bias tires are telling me I'm cornering to fast!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.