Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read multiple threads and have decided that the CPP 500 box is the way to go. I know I need a rag joint and power steering pump, hoses, etc. I have a front motor mount engine, so I suppose I will need that combo mount power steering bracket. My car is a manual steering right now, and has the original cast iron powerglide and linkage. I am not switching out the transmission anytime soon so will the steering column conversion kit work with all of the linkage I have now? Do I need to switch to headers or can I stay with my manifolds that I have? I have a generator now and I have run across an alternator, that is housed in the body of a generator anybody ever use one of those? If so what is involved in switching it out with the generator? I think in the long run going to an alternator will be better for me as i am wanting to add AC, and Digital gauges, etc as time goes by. I am trying to keep it looking stock as much as possible but I also want it to have some modern touches and safety features. Oh one more question, do I need to switch out the upper A-Frames when I convert to P.S.? I am thinking of doing that anyway probably go with the CPP tubular frames both upper and lower.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,588 Posts
I would STRONGLY SUGGEST you make one call to Steve @ Authentic Automotive. He can talk you through it and with his knowledge and all you will get the best result. Steve is a car guy and built his business the right way. A one man operation on all things Power Steering. I believe
he is the guy that made the alternators that look just like the generator. He can supply you with everything you need to make the power steering conversion.

Mikey

Reactions: chevman57

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would STRONGLY SUGGEST you make one call to Steve @ Authentic Automotive. He can talk you through it and with his knowledge and all you will get the best result. Steve is a car guy and built his business the right way. A one man operation on all things Power Steering. I believe
he is the guy that made the alternators that look just like the generator. He can supply you with everything you need to make the power steering conversion.

Mikey
Thanks Mike I will do that

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I have the CPP500 power steering box, shortened stock column w/ragjoint, Hurst 4 speed shifter (which simplifies mine)... you do not need tubular control arms or any other linkage modifications.
My opinion is a sway bar is such more beneficial in the handling of the car and much lower cost than tubular control arms. If your control arms have worn out bushings they are not for the novice to replace, you really need a press and something to keep you from crushing the control arms when pressing the bushings back in. That's a whole other operation...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok no my bushings are good but they are 64 years old so I thought since I am doing this lets bring those into the modern age as well. I really don't want to spend anymore than have to though. I did see another member on this forums youtube pressing new bushings into his a frames which seemed easy enough. I am adding a sway bar and I think that is why I was going to go with tubulars at least for the bottom since they have the bracket made into place for the sway bar, but if installing a sway bar on the original a frames isn't a big deal then maybe that is the way to go instead of changing the a frame.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Will the steering column conversion kit work with all of the linkage I have now?
Do I need to switch to headers or can I stay with my manifolds that I have?
Oh one more question, do I need to switch out the upper A-Frames when I convert to P.S.?
In Order;
Yes. To save converting your existing column CPP has a shorter one available for $169.00.
Manifolds are fine.
You don't 'need' to, but it would be wise to. Changing upper control arms with increased caster will improve the cars handling noticeably. The CPP stamped ones that look similar to stock are good value. Fitting taller upper ball joints will address the camber curve issues that these cars have.
If you don't have a front sway bar, they offer a significant improvement also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I have been researching this whole thing, I have found out that I have the balancer with the rivets. If I go with the power steering pump conversion I will need to change that out.I do plan on adding AC because it hits triple digits where I live. I also want to get rid of my original generator and either go with an alternator or the aftermarket generator/alternator set up. I spoke to Mike who directed me to Jalapeno who was very informative.He did say the generator/power steering pump that was original would be able to handle the steering gear needs and I can get that set up where the generator part is actually an alternator. My question is how many grooves on the pulley would I need in order to add power steering and AC? Would I need to switch to the long water pump and move my radiator to the 6 cyl position in order to do this? I want to do this all at once, at least the pulley set up part so that I can add things as I need to down the road. Any ideas or suggestions, anybody done this with their vehicles?

·
Registered
415 Posts
It sounds like you want a “kit type” so you can just bolt everything in place. Suggest that research well the compatibility of everything including the changes you want to make later. On the other hand you can fabricate the various mounting so everything “custom fits”. Small changes such as shorter steering column and shaft if you rework the originals more than guarantees things fit. The solid steering box/shaft is the major hump to changing the steering box. Simple shortened flatted or splined shaft and steering joints rectifies that. Yes, you can purchase or fabricate as one prefers.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,588 Posts
Ok so I have been researching this whole thing, I have found out that I have the balancer with the rivets. If I go with the power steering pump conversion I will need to change that out.I do plan on adding AC because it hits triple digits where I live. I also want to get rid of my original generator and either go with an alternator or the aftermarket generator/alternator set up. I spoke to Mike who directed me to Jalapeno who was very informative.He did say the generator/power steering pump that was original would be able to handle the steering gear needs and I can get that set up where the generator part is actually an alternator. My question is how many grooves on the pulley would I need in order to add power steering and AC? Would I need to switch to the long water pump and move my radiator to the 6 cyl position in order to do this? I want to do this all at once, at least the pulley set up part so that I can add things as I need to down the road. Any ideas or suggestions, anybody done this with their vehicles?
You can buy a Allen Grove compressor mount and use your current short water pump. Get a 2 groove pulley for the water pump and a replacement lower balancer and a 2 groove pulley for it.
One pulley groove will run the PS and the other the AC compressor. Depending on which AC kit you buy, it may even come with their version of this mount. Easy as that.

Mikey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts