Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we test fitted it in the past and it looked like the T56 clutch master was gonna be a breeze to install. Unfortunately, we didn't have the headers in and now the hydraulic line is running smack dead into the header. What is everyone doing to mount the clutch master cylinder using the stock GM clyinder? Is there some sort of bracket to mount this?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't have much to tell you here, but on my Nomad build, the clutch mc is out of a 2002 Camaro and is mounted to the brake booster via a custom bracket that makes the angle of the clutch rod "correct" as it passes thru the firewall. Here's all the pics I have.

This was engineered and made by the previous owner, and I haven't gotten to the point with this build where I've been able to verify that it works "as is" with no issues, but I suspect it's going to work fine.

The hydraulic line going to the slave cylinder in the trans is a flexible braided steel line so in my case, I can probably route that away from the headers. (Ignore the cast exhaust manifolds in these pics, as they have been replaced by headers).

·
Registered
37,028 Posts
Wagon Crazy's photos are much too close for me to tell what's going on. The main thing I see is that his assembly is on the clutch pedal side, and I'm using the original pedal lever/clutch rod location that's on the other side of the column.

I did what you probably did on mine. Without the engine/headers in place, I just held the m/c assembly up to the firewall and lined it up with the clutch linkage under the dash, and cut what I needed to install it. Essentially with the master cylinder rod in approximately the same location as the old clutch linkage rod that came through the firewall.

My hydraulic line hit the header too. I had seen two installations that were successfully done the way I did that (or so I thought), but obviously something was different between those and mine. No real idea why theirs worked and not mine but it happened and regardless of why I had to fix it.

Here's what I did to fix it. I built a bracket to rotate the master cylinder mount up and out 10 degrees. It's not real obvious but the little box bracket is 10 degrees to the firewall.

I could have shortened the rod on the m/c so that it could have been closer to flush on the firewall but I wanted to leave that unmodified so that if I ever need to buy a m/c assembly on the road, it would just bolt in.

Last thing, if you use the original linkage lever on the clutch pedal, you'll need to drill a new hole closer to the pedal shaft, to get the travel and leverage right. We discussed this in depth in an old thread. Maybe I can find it tomorrow night.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I used this cool little bracket for my T56 master:

I used the remote hose so the reservoir is not mounted to the master. The adjustable bracket allows you to get the exact angle you need and it came with a 90 deg fitting for he end so it didn't have any problem clearing the header.

As you can see, it took a few trial and error holes drilled in the lever under the dash to get it right. My clutch pedal pressure and travel is just perfect. The people I bought the kit from said I wouldn't have to drill a new hole in the lever, that it should work in the stock hole. Not so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Roger1,

Where did you get that slick firewall mounting system for your Willwood hydraulic clutch master cylinder or please provide the manufacturer.

Thanks..........Mike W.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I got it in the "Hydramax" kit that American Power Train sells. I don't know who manufactures it but I'm sure they don't make it themselves.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Clutch mastercylinder

if you want to check my clutch mastercyl. installation.look at the picture in my profile.i used the same mastercyl as you.i put in same location as rick.except I recessed the firewall to gain header clearance.I don't know how tp post the pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts