Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm getting to the point in the build where I need to find an engine and tranny so I can begin to mount them up. I am gonna go with a regular 350 for a motor. I was thinking of the Tremec 5 speeds, but not real impressed with them for the price (put one in a buddy's mopar and it was a PITA.) So I was reading some threads on the T56's out of Camaros.

My questions are this: What years of the T56's are bolt up to a 350? What price range is reasonable? Anything in particular I should know about these since I don't know much about them? I don't plan on putting more than 400hp at it.

These are vague questions, I know, but it is only because I don't know enough about these transmissions to ask the specific questions. So all of you who know something would you please chime in so I can gain some education before I buy one? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bruce, thanks for the link, but I am not finding much info there other than buying a new tranny and install kit.

I guess I am wanting to know what years of the t56 used I can buy (like looking on craigslist). I have seen some on craigslist for what I think is really cheap. But I don't want to go buy one if it won't bolt up, etc. This is the type of info I am looking for since I don't know squat about these things.

·
12,256 Posts
Mike, check with McLeod or one of the other bellhousing manufacturers. I think McLeod makes a modular adapter/bellhousing that will attach just about any tranny to just about any engine. The LS T56's have longer input shaft than the LT-1 T56's. The Vipers also have a longer input shaft, but it works well with the steel adapter plate they sell at Summit and other places.

I'm using the steel adapter plate (from Keisler) with a standard Lakewood scattershield and standard Chevy 11" clutch.

Every once in a while you can find a good deal on a low-mileage Viper T56 on eBay. The nice thing about the Viper unit (besides being stronger) is that the shifter is further forward than on an F-body T56. Here's a comparison:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what kind of price is good for a viper tranny or camaro tranny?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
. So all of you who know something would you please chime in so I can gain some education before I buy one?

Tremec T56 home page:
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-56.asp

Adapter plate and kit to move shifter forward:
http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/item/3838217/4803441.htm

another link:
http://www.americanpowertrain.com/T56-Magnum.html

I think most of us have had to trim the metal flange that hangs down from the firewall/transmission tunnel.
Also many of us had to modify the transmission tunnel to make room for the six speed.
With the transmission installed the shifter is much farther rearward. A solution is to move the shifter forward or buy a different shifter handle that is offset forward.

Notice the location for the three speed, four speed and now six speed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Mike if you have a bench seat you mite look at Keisler's front mount shifter ( cheaper at The Gear Box). I used it in my 56 and it gives the seat enough room to go all the way forward . No bucket seats or cutting the seat to fit shifter. Click on my avatar and there is a picture of mine. Don

·
Registered
36,125 Posts
Not mentioned yet is using a Camaro/Firebird 6 speed. Obviously that is the way to go if you are going to use the engine from one of these cars too. Or using one with a non-Camaro/Firebird LSx engine (like from a truck).

You can also put the 93-97 LT1 Camaro/Firebird 6 speed behind a traditional V8. All you have to do if you have an 86-up small block is use the Camaro flywheel and clutch. If you have a 85 or older engine, you can do the same except you'll have to buy a special flywheel. You'll also need to adapt the Camaro clutch master cylinder/hose/slave cylinder.

Or you can go the adapter route discussed above.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
Mike, check with McLeod or one of the other bellhousing manufacturers. I think McLeod makes a modular adapter/bellhousing that will attach just about any tranny to just about any engine. The LS T56's have longer input shaft than the LT-1 T56's. The Vipers also have a longer input shaft, but it works well with the steel adapter plate they sell at Summit and other places.

I'm using the steel adapter plate (from Keisler) with a standard Lakewood scattershield and standard Chevy 11" clutch.

Every once in a while you can find a good deal on a low-mileage Viper T56 on eBay. The nice thing about the Viper unit (besides being stronger) is that the shifter is further forward than on an F-body T56. Here's a comparison:
This is what Laszlo is talking about. Nice piece.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am just gonna do a 350. Nothing from a new camaro or such. Probably a 4 bolt from a late 70's truck.

I have been looking on craigslist and ebay. craigslist in Houston has some for 900 bucks. Then on ebay right now there are a couple viper trannies for about 1500.

Laszlo, where are you getting such good deals??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts