Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY GUYS
I BOUGHT A TAIL LIGHT SOCKET FOR THE 56,BUT IT HAS THREE WIRES.THE
ORIGINAL HAS 2 WIRES.WHAT IS THE THIRD WIRE FOR.
IT HAS 2 BLACK AND 1 WHITE WIRES.

DONGREG

1ST.CAV

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,423 Posts
HEY GUYS
I BOUGHT A TAIL LIGHT SOCKET FOR THE 56,BUT IT HAS THREE WIRES.THE
ORIGINAL HAS 2 WIRES.WHAT IS THE THIRD WIRE FOR.
IT HAS 2 BLACK AND 1 WHITE WIRES.

DONGREG

1ST.CAV
Doesn'tound like a 56 tail light socket. Tri-5's use a contact that plugs into the socket in the housing.
A generic socket may have 3 wires. One for the turn/brake light and the 2 blacks are for connecting the opposite side tail light wire.
Tri-5 bulb contacts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Doesn'tound like a 56 tail light socket. Tri-5's use a contact that plugs into the socket in the housing.
A generic socket may have 3 wires. One for the turn/brake light and the 2 blacks are for connecting the opposite side tail light wire.
Tri-5 bulb contacts.
Hello Don.
I am rewiring my 56 2 door sedan with the AAW classic update kit. I have new Danchuk Tail lights but do not have the Turn Signal/Brake Light bulb sockets that the harness plugs into. I checked my old Tail lights but must have thrown out the old sockets. I am having trouble finding the correct socket on line and hoped that you could help me to locate the correct ones, possibly with a picture. Thank you for your help and have a great day, George

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,423 Posts
The tail light and stop/turn bulb use the same socket. The other socket hole is for back-up lights.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The tail light and stop/turn bulb use the same socket. The other socket hole is for back-up lights.
Thanks allot Don. I have ordered the backup light sockets but don't know where to get the stop/turn bulb socket. Do you know who sells them and what the part number is?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Is this by chance an LED light? If so, then they often use white as ground, and the other two black wires will be park light, and brake light.
Simply try the white to grd. on your battery, and then touch each black to see which is the brighter of the two, and it's the brake light wire.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is this by chance an LED light? If so, then they often use white as ground, and the other two black wires will be park light, and brake light.
Simply try the white to grd. on your battery, and then touch each black to see which is the brighter of the two, and it's the brake light wire.
No, I am rewiring my 56 2 door sedan with a AAW classic update harness and I have new Danchuk tail lights. The harness comes with the two pin plug and boot but neither have the socket that it plugs into. I didn't save the old sockets from my old tail lights so I am looking for help to get the correct sockets for the tail/stop/turn light bulbs which I believe are an 1157. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Try East coast chevy I bought two sockets last summer from them for a 55 I was working on the ones i used was #21-226a at the time they were out of the 21-225 that includes the boot call them they are most likely the most knowledgeable guys you will get on a phone call

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks allot Don. I have ordered the backup light sockets but don't know where to get the stop/turn bulb socket. Do you know who sells them and what the part number is?
Don, what I need is the socket that is in your posted picture installed in your tail light housing. Do you know what the part number is or where I can get them?

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I believe they're two different kind of sockets depending on your taillights the sockets I used were as the originals it has a plastic piece with two spring loaded contact pins attached to the two leads & it pushes into the socket made into the lamp & twists into two slots Then there is a aftermarket design i believe that the whole socket itself with the pigtail attached pushes in to a round hole in the lamp that one I have not seen but the way they're described makes me think that is the difference hope that's not too confusing

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe they're two different kind of sockets depending on your taillights the sockets I used were as the originals it has a plastic piece with two spring loaded contact pins attached to the two leads & it pushes into the socket made into the lamp & twists into two slots Then there is a aftermarket design i believe that the whole socket itself with the pigtail attached pushes in to a round hole in the lamp that one I have not seen but the way they're described makes me think that is the difference hope that's not too confusing
Thank you for your quick response. I am attaching two photos to show what I have so far. Maybe you can tell me what piece I am missing to attach the pigtail to the tail light assembly. Thanks for your help, George

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
The pig tail should push into the tail lamp & twist into the two slots then the bulb goes into the lamp from the front & twist into place the opposite direction that the pig tail twisted into the housing. I just enlarged the photo of the harness side doesn't look right for your housings the housing looks the same as mine also the 55 i worked on the lamps last summer yours won't work if I seeing it correctly the harness side should have two tits that fit into the slots & twist into place call East Coast they can get you what you need good luck. That first number I gave you i think is what you need

·
Registered
33 Posts
The pig tail should push into the tail lamp & twist into the two slots then the bulb goes into the lamp from the front & twist into place the opposite direction that the pig tail twisted into the housing. I just enlarged the photo of the harness side doesn't look right for your housings the housing looks the same as mine also the 55 i worked on the lamps last summer yours won't work if I seeing it correctly the harness side should have two tits that fit into the slots & twist into place call East Coast they can get you what you need good luck. That first number I gave you i think is what you need
I can't thank you enough! I just went out and checked and the pigtails fit perfectly. Duhhhhh! I guess I never thought that the bulbs would install from the lens side and that's what made me believe there was another piece that I was missing. I have been a member of Tri Five for over 13 years and what a wonderful group of people. The help I have been given is amazing. Have a wonderful evening and once again thank you. George

1 - 15 of 15 Posts