Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rewired my 57 wagon a few yrs ago with American Autowire. Now when I pull the light switch on, I blow the 15 amp park light fuse, no tail lights but have headlights and park lights. I disconnected the rear wiring, turn on the lights, I still have headlights and front park lights and don't not blow the fuse. I cannot find the problem in the rear wiring.

Are the dash lights and the tail lights on the same circuit? Thanks, Larry

· Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,974 Posts
how can you tell if a socket is shorting out?

are the dash lights and tail lights on the same circuit?
Is the wiring a stock AAW harness or their upgrade harness?
The dash lights are on a seperate fuse from the tail lights, but it is in series with the tail lights, so they will go out when that fuse blows.
If the fuse doesn't blow when the rear harness is unplugged, the black wire in the rear harness has a short. You can unplug the tail light contact assemblys, to see if the socket is shorted.
Other likely places for a short is a screw going into the harness under the sill plate, the black wire getting pinched by the rear seat, and the license plate wires going to the bumper. Tail light contact....

· Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,974 Posts
there are 5 wires in the rear section, yellow, blue, brown, lt green and dark green. no black. which wire should I look for? thanks, Larry
You must have the update AAW harness. It has a brown wire for the tail lights. The stock factory fit tail light wire is black.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.