Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 55 and the seam where the tail pan meets the quarter under the tail light has about a one inch inch hole in it. I've seen this spot on lots of other 55's so I know it can't be uncommon.
My question is, if I get the quarter patches that are available from various sources would flat patching that spot on the tail pan be ok or should I just replace the tail pan as well? I can post a pic of the problem area if that's helpful? Also, this 55 is one of my first resto's so I'm no means a seasoned vet!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I'm guessing traffic in your neighborhood is pretty challenging for the next 10 days!! But then again, you probably walked over to the Back to the 50's show while the rest of us were in gridlock.

If you're ever in Burnsville and want to compare notes, let me know! My '55 is in pieces now, so lots of good viewing angles available.

Jay

·
Registered
36,961 Posts
Sometimes all the rust is in the corner in the quarter panel, and sometimes the tail pan is rusted too. A small "dog leg" patch panel is sold for repairing this area, and of course, replacement tail pans.

While you're planning this, check the inner dogleg panels in the trunk (the ones backside of the ones you're replacing), the tail pan brace, and the rear part of the trunk floor. Often they are all rusted to some degree.

The dogleg parts available are not very well made, inners even worse than the outers. But IMO it's still useful to buy them and make them fit relative to trying to make your own.

The last 10" of the trunk floor, as well as the tail pan and tail pan brace are nicely made parts and fit pretty good as received.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, the spot involves the tail pan, the dog leg area of the quarter, and the inner dog legs. Time to order up some parts and burn some wire I guess!
Seems like a real common spot that I see on 55's, must be a "crud" accumulation point from the rear tires.

AlwaysWantedA55: Yep, back to the 50's and Car Craft were a short blast up Como in a friends blown Hemi powered rod away! I might take you up on the offer to inspect/compare notes. Mine is pretty much all in pieces right now too although the body is still on the frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts