Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought new taillight harness pigtail grommets and i need to fish the existing wires through but the big fat nylon plug at the end of the taillight harness is to big to pass through. how do I disconnect this or do I need to cut wires and resplice. hoping thats not nessessary.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Don't cut and splice. You can remove the terminals from the plug. I don't remember if the rear harness has male or female terminals. To remove the male terminals from the plug, squeeze the terminal together with a long nose pliers, to close the slot in the terminal and it will release from the plug, by pulling on the wire. For the female terminal, there is a small tab on the terminal that can be pushed down with a small flat screwdriver to release the terminal from the plug. There is a notch in the plug that the screwdriver can be inserted. You may have to grind the blade of the screwdriver flatter to get it in the notch. Mark where the wires go in the plug.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
taillight wiring issue

Don, I am talking about the white nylon plug with 2 termals that you twist into the taillight housing and the lamp makes contact with. I need to get the wires out of the nylon plug if possible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those buttons on the ends of the wires in the plug that connect with the bulb are crimped on (or soldered) and I've never found them sold anywhere. If anyone knows of a supplier, let us know! That would be cleaner than splicing.

If you take the rubber gromet out of the hole first, can you then get the plastic plug through the hole? You might also be able to enlarge the hole a little to fit it through and put a fatter grommet in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts