Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"I will never attempt to beat the train." Its a bet you can't win and its hard on the winner. My bil that lost his Dad yesterday was a Amtrak engineer his route was Creston,Ia to Lincoln,Ne. Four people tried to beat his train and lost their lives trying. He couldn't understand peoples stupidity and took early retirement from the railroad, went back to school and became an electrical engineer. Remember good brakes don't slow a speeding train in less than a mile ,loaded coal train maybe 2 miles

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
I'm cured. Took the pledge.

In my impetuous youth, due to circumstances, I beat a train through a crossing inside the Ft. Worth city limits, but there's a reason.

I had changed the intake on the 283 in my '56 210 2 dr sedan 3 speed manual from a 2GC Rochester to a Carter WCFB 4 bbl but the Carter was somehow messed up. Intermittently, if I mashed the throttle to the mat, it would stick there. I would have to reach down and pull the pedal up, which is rather unhandy, but it didn't do it every time. Most likely the throttle butterflys were distorted. I was probably 19 at the time. I just had to have that 4 bbl.

So a buddy of mine is riding shotgun, we had just left a stop sign and the car was in low gear. Upon seeing the approaching train I floor it but immediately changed my mind and lifted. Of course the throttle stuck this time. Not having time and distance to reach down to free the pedal, I did what any self-respecting teenage hotrodder would do. I hung a big powershift into second gear. The '56 went flying over that crossing. Once thru, I reached up and switched off the ignition. We stopped and the dang throttle would not un-hang. I had to pry it shut at the carb linkage. The occurrence really rattled me once it was over, and my buddy advised to let him out of the car next time. Later I destroyed the Carter because I wasn't able to fix it. I didn't want anyone else to have to put up with that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts